***Carb Experts***

Okay guys I'm having an issue that is driving me crazy. I've been on the phone on and off all today with Brandon and Shay from Wildcard Racing trying to figure this out.

I'm running stock carbs on my duner and the other day I took them off and cleaned them. Threw them back on and the left cylinder is barley running. After going through everything Brandon was thinking its maybe a pilot circuit problem. Maybe a clogged pilot jet?

When I pull the choke half way out the bike runs normal like it should. But when I push the choke back in, the right cylinder runs normal and the left is barley running. I don't know what to think the fact that it runs better with it at half choke than not. Before taking these off and cleaning them the jetting was setup perfect for this motor.

I haven't checked for a clogged pilot jet yet. But I'm willing to take ANY SUGGESTIONS at this point? Thanks!

well first i dont consider myself an expert, butt... take that problem carb off and reclean it asap. if pulling the choke helps it then it needs fuel and is likely a clogged pilot jet. it is possible that the float is getting stuck and not filling up all the way but unless you tweeked it removing and reinstalling the bowl then its unlikely.

well man.. if it was running before no prob then cleaned the carbs and it started giving you problems... most things would point to your carbs...

In m experience.. people that just spray some cleaner in there and call it good doesnt always do the trick. In some occations I have had to use something to pass through the jet or circuit to ensure its been cleaned. ive seen my fair share have clear white shit build up on the side walls. You could have cleaned the jets but ended up pushing gunk blocking the circuit passages somewhere. if the carbs are gunked up in the circuit and not the jet you may have to soak the carbs in a cleaner for a while then use a air gun to blow the crap out

Ive had to do this on my snowmobile carbs in a few occations from having them sit over summer or for extended periods of time then cleaning the carbs and ending up blocking the circuit inside the carb preventing it to even run.

just in my opinion man take the carbs apart clean them out very good not just jets but passages too... let the problem carb soak in a solvent if needed for a few hours atleast

That is my next step. I need to get my compressor and make sure nothing is clogged. I'm thinking maybe thats exactly what I did, was probably push some sand in the pilot or something. I'm really hoping its something stupid like that.

if you didnt use a compressor and a rubber tiped blow gun the carbs are not clean you also need to make sure the air jets in the intake bowl are clean and i'd completely disasemble them that is remove the dump tubes and everything. i also use carb cleaner and spray through all the passages and make sure they are clean and going where they need to..

hold the slow jets up to light and make sure you can see the light through them they can get varnish whick looks yellow, buit you can see light through them if blown out with compressed air they will be clean and clear. if a bike sits for more than 30 days with fuel in the tank its gone bad and has started to turn to crap. also you can remove the petcock and clean out the fuel filters.. check your float height and make sure thats correct when you put them back together

Looks like it was a clogged pilot jet on the left carb. While cleaning them some sand must have made its way in there.

When I first took the pilot out I couldn't see daylight through it, cleaned it and blew it out and now I can see light. The bike seems to be running like it should now....so far so good atleast. DUNES HERE I COME :cheers:

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it is running once I tear up the dunes this weekend!

haha that sucks.

once i was working on a mark2 jag and they have a chrome strip in the middle of the bonnet (hood), changing the spark plugs, and in the course of me doing so, a screw holding the chrome on the bonnet fell straight into a plug hole haha, rattle rattle, pulled it out. what are the chances !.

some shit, just wants to fuck with you.