Whoa Big Fella, Whoa!

WillG.

Hey everyone, The few times I've been on my newly bought 03 shee, I've notice that the brakes seem less then adequate at times. In fact, I don't think I've ever been able to lock up the front wheels even if i really grab a hand full of brake. Not that I'd necessarily want to lock them up, but is that normal? The rear will lock up if i want them to. But overall it just feels like she doesn't slow down as well as I'd like.

Hey everyone, The few times I've been on my newly bought 03 shee, I've notice that the brakes seem less then adequate at times. In fact, I don't think I've ever been able to lock up the front wheels even if i really grab a hand full of brake. Not that I'd necessarily want to lock them up, but is that normal? The rear will lock up if i want them to. But overall it just feels like she doesn't slow down as well as I'd like.

Banshee's are inherently heavy bikes. The stock brake systems are often insufficient. A lot of people do the YFZ450 brake swap onto their banshee spindles, which seems to be a great improvement.

Whatever you do, I've heard through the grapevine, don't buy RIS designs calipers. I'm not sure where I read it, though.

Yeah, they do seem heavy. My main concern is that what I'm experiencing is normal for these bikes. So I 'm not worrying that I need to look into it. After all it is like comparing apples to oranges when compared to a dirt bike. Maybe some better pads also perhaps? That swap sounds cool. Is it a direct swap? Just the brakes, or the whole hub needed? Thanks a lot for the response, and info Matt!

can you pull the lever to the bars on the fronts??

use OEM pads, and upgrade to stainless steel brake lines should work much better. bleed the brakes and use new fluid. if you can pull the lever to the bars it deff needs bled andnew fluid put in.

Awesome! Looking into some now. Are the Raptor ones compatible as well, or just the YFZ's?

ya everything on the raptors front end is same as a yfz except for taller shocks, i put my entire stock raptor front end on my banshee when i got it cause the stock stuff was bent and i used a how to for yfz450 suspension.

Edited by rideSAND

X2 with Matt.

The YFZ450 front calipers will bolt right up to your banshee. They are duel piston opposed to the banshee single piston calipers. Check ebay there are tons for cheap on there.

I like the idea of this upgrade. Do you need YZF Spindles and Calipers, or just the Calipers? Any other parts needed for this upgrade?

Tim

2009 Shee

can you pull the lever to the bars on the fronts??

use OEM pads, and upgrade to stainless steel brake lines should work much better. bleed the brakes and use new fluid. if you can pull the lever to the bars it deff needs bled andnew fluid put in.

No I cant pull the lever to the bars. The fluid in it seems pretty new. The feel of the brake lever seems right. and the pads are in good shape as well and has a bit of meat on them. I was thinking of scuffing up the brake rotor some to see if it helps the pads grab.

No I cant pull the lever to the bars. The fluid in it seems pretty new. The feel of the brake lever seems right. and the pads are in good shape as well and has a bit of meat on them. I was thinking of scuffing up the brake rotor some to see if it helps the pads grab.

Make sure the pins the calipers float on are not corroded up and the caliper can't move in and out when you apply the brakes. If this happens, the lever will be firmer than normal but the pads won't clamp down on the rotor good. Also the pads will drag when the brakes are released.

The YFZ caliper upgrade is definitely worth it, my shit stops a hell of a lot faster then it ever did before. I'm still running the stock shee rezzi and it works great, but as Matt said the YFZ rezzi does hold more fluid.

if you can get the fronts to work well with one finger thats a nice feeling. my trail turd uses 250r dual piston brakes and i really like them my old one had the 87 year front calipers with the bigger pads and braded lines i liked that also. BUT the yfz conv seems like an excellent idear escpecially if its a bolt on.