Which paddles and swingarm for new setup

Chevy4life32

Alright, so I mainly ride Florence and Winchester bay. I do drag race just for fun here and there, but i love to tree shoot a lot and ride the trails a lot. Before my engine needed to be worked on I had a completely stock bike with just t 5 pipes and i ran 20x10x10 8 paddle extremes and had no problem with them and stock swingarm. Well now i have a HJR build 4 mil long rod with dune/play port on stock cylinders and port match cases, pod filters and noss head with cut domes. I'm running 96 octane gas and stock front and rear sprockets. With the setup I have now, im starting to think that doing tree shots are gonna be putting me straight over on my back and I wont be able to keep the front end down. I weigh around 185, if that makes a difference. So my questions is what would you think would be the best setup for paddle tires and should i extend 2 or 4 inches on the swingarm. I don't want to go to long cause I see those guys with the plus 6 arms trying to maneuver in the deep holes and even have a hard time on tight trails. Any input would help thanks

If your not going longer then +4 on the swingarm i would stay with 8 paddles, maybe 9. a +6 arm is really not that bad, i have had a +4 and +6 the plus 6 was perfect for hill climbing at coos bay. never had it in windy bay had the 421 and a +10. anyway you hitting dunefest in aug? GO DUCKS!!!!

If your not going longer then +4 on the swingarm i would stay with 8 paddles, maybe 9. a +6 arm is really not that bad, i have had a +4 and +6 the plus 6 was perfect for hill climbing at coos bay. never had it in windy bay had the 421 and a +10. anyway you hitting dunefest in aug? GO DUCKS!!!!

Thanks man, I will go with a +4 swingarm and keep the 8 paddles for awhile. So I want to go to dune fest but I was born and raised in eugene OR but joined the marines and am down in southern cali at camp pendleton. My bike is in oregon and my engine is here with me getting rebuilt. Damn I wish i was going though. It looks even bigger this year. Hey speaking of which, you said u ride coos bay and r those dunes big at all compared to winchester bay and also do u have problems with the cops enforcing the sound regs there in coos bay. They are bad at florence when i go there. Thanks and go ducks is right. Hope they do good this year.

there are some moster hills at windybay, there are some good climbs in coos bay as well but alot more area to ride in coos bay, you can go all the way to 10 mile creek from boxcar witch is like 20 miles, so hella area. not that bad on the sound at coos bay except on big weekends then there is some popo but they are pretty chill, most them ride as well so they are kinda chill, there are a few that are tight asses tho, hope that baby runs when you get her back!!!!

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I mainly ride Florence and Winchester bay. I do drag race just for fun here and there, but i love to tree shoot a lot and ride the trails a lot. Before my engine needed to be worked on I had a completely stock bike with just t 5 pipes and i ran 20x10x10 8 paddle extremes and had no problem with them and stock swingarm. Well now i have a HJR build 4 mil long rod with dune/play port on stock cylinders and port match cases, pod filters and noss head with cut domes. I'm running 96 octane gas and stock front and rear sprockets. With the setup I have now, im starting to think that doing tree shots are gonna be putting me straight over on my back and I wont be able to keep the front end down. I weigh around 185, if that makes a difference. So my questions is what would you think would be the best setup for paddle tires and should i extend 2 or 4 inches on the swingarm. I don't want to go to long cause I see those guys with the plus 6 arms trying to maneuver in the deep holes and even have a hard time on tight trails. Any input would help thanks

With those 20 inch tires you probably wont have to worry about the front end coming up too much because you have a 421 and you will probably be spinning the rear tires like crazy. I would say you may have issues getting traction. I have a stock cyl mild build with 22x8x10 8 paddles and im having issues with traction. I would reccomend 22x8x10 9 or 10 paddles with a +4. jmo

I've been debating the same thing, right now I have 20 inch 8 paddles on my 4 mil and I spin the shit out of them (I know you want some spin but not this much) and when it does finally grip all it wants to do is come up. I like to do the same riding as you with the tree shots and most people I have seen use a +4 22 inch 9 paddles or a +6 22 inch 10 paddle. I'm leaning towards the +6 for some of the really steep shit and others I have asked said there is not much of a turn difference between the two once you get used to it.