Weird Power Lurtch

Took the shee out to sand this weekend and had something weird happen. I am not running paddles out there due to the mix of dirt trails and sand washes. Everytime I would get to 3-6 gears and above 1/2 throtle it seemed to gain and loose power/rpm. Then I would downshift and it would clear up, but then I was really high on rpm. Is this due to the slip in the sand with reg tires and hitting various rocky/soft sand? Almost seemed like I had to keep my throtle in a sweet spot to keep the power constant, or it would loose power with too much throt or being in anything above 4th. This Lurtch would go up/down every second or so, with no warning. Screems up and down the street though. Do I just need paddles for sand or my peeling out in sand and shifting mess'n with my cdi?

04 Banshee

stock motor

fmf sst/powercore

cool head 22cc domes

brand new plugs

dyna ignition

dyna cdi (stock position)

fast clutch,shift mod, star

pancake bearing

28mm pwk carbs uni pods

synced with carb tool

billet intake w/crossover

pwr radiator

billet impeller/gear

running sunoco gt260 100oct

super technoplate 40:1

klotz tran lube

bansheecomplete009.jpg

I am at 48p and 150main. This is the first time I have had a chance to really open it up since jetting down. My elevation there is 2100. I thought maybe I am still too fat on both jets, especially on the main, after poking around here and seeing what people are running at lower elevations or same. gunna have to really commit to a gravel road, go wot and plug chop. Thought I could ride and play around with jetting per ride, but that makes sense, I may be drowning it with wot

• 1 month later...

Jetted down to 45/145 middle clip on the needle. 2700ft elevation. One turn out. Pulling a #7 on the sync tool on idle.

Took the Tusk Vent'r off, ran just a 5/16 tube off the Tusk Gas Cap (no vent on cap)

Pulls very hard till 5/8 of throtle, then if I peg it to wot it just stays the same speed then "pulses" in 2-4 second waves on/off with throt while I hold it down.

Mostly in 3-6.

Got a dual pingle on the way.

Was really hoping the little chrome venter was causing a vacuum issue in the tank. banghead

After I rebuilt the shee I actually started @ 55/155 on the pilot/main and worked my way down.

And no, I have a brand new fast clutch in it and it works great.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE ???????????

so, is the 5/8 wall better or worse than before? sounds like you need to go back up the other direction on the main. the higher gears is where it typically shows where the jetting is off a little. another thing is the possibility of weak spark. read your plugs and check the gaps.

Both plugs gap @.026

I new I was rich at my 50/150 jetting, plugs were black and low power and had to turn screws out 2 turns or more.

Here is a pic of the plug with that set up.

n002.jpg

Since then I switched to klotz technoplate 40:1 and run 110LL. Worked down to 45/145 jets.

Here is a pic after 1hr on new plugs....Comments?????

ban002.jpg

Also I have the blue nkg non-resistive caps & resistive plugs (dont know if thats right) Took them apart and found the shitty shark teeth that are supposed to bite into the spark plug wire barely in. They actually came off and left me with this........Gunna solder fresh wire to the connectors, so I know its a permanent solid connection. I am hopeful it is this, but why only at wot with the electrical? Wouldnt it be through out? Starts up 1st kick. Also for what its worth I have the dyna ignition and cdi in stock mode.

n003.jpg

I would also check the clutch. get it out on some grippy terrain or pavement and go through the gears. If the clutch is slipping you'll know on pavement easiest. my 2 cents

For the 2nd time.....my clutch is solid. Its a brand new fast clutch, pancake bearing and I can drop it on pavement and burn rubber.

Oh yeah and my carb floats are set to 19mm and rebuild this spring.

well, you didn't really answer my question......... anywho- your plugs say over-all cold, and lean. the non-resistor caps could be a good idea if you are running br8's, so you don't have worry about caps cracking. fix the connection, then play with the mains only untill it can pull decent in higher gears wot, and do a proper plug chop, by the book. it's outlined in the jetting section. once you have the mains set, that is what you stick with, then go play with the needle, then pilot jet.

well, you didn't really answer my question......... anywho- your plugs say over-all cold, and lean. the non-resistor caps could be a good idea if you are running br8's, so you don't have worry about caps cracking. fix the connection, then play with the mains only untill it can pull decent in higher gears wot, and do a proper plug chop, by the book. it's outlined in the jetting section. once you have the mains set, that is what you stick with, then go play with the needle, then pilot jet.

From starting at 155 main, it has done the same thing as the 145 main. Looks like most peeps around 2600+ feet with my set up are runing 145-150 main :confused:

i just now noticed that you are at stock compression.......... git that fuel out of there and put some 90-93oct in and git after it again. your motor can't really burn that much octane effectively, and i'm not sure your oil is compatible...