R2s and sand

burhead

Over the winter I installed a set of R2s and I was pretty impressed initially. I had only ridden the quad on hardpack or gravel with my 20" kenda claws. I took it to a local riding spot for a weekend trip. The riding area is all sand with alot of tight trails and some nice wide open spaces. I am running 22" pro wedges (also new over the winter). I am geared down one tooth on the front sprocket. This thing is terrible in the sand. I cannot get it to launch no matter what I try. It is also not alot of fun on the trails. My reason for the taller paddles was to gain some ground clearance as some of the trails get some pretty deep ruts. I figured that my gearing was low enough to compensate for the taller paddle also figured that these tires being so light would help out as well. So I am wondering what guys are running with these pipes.

Get your jetting dialed in perfect, I ran T-5s and R-2s come on just as soon and pull way harder and rev out longer than T-5s. They are a mid-top pipe but I ride in trails and have no problems, what kind of port job do you have? and other mods?

The only other mods I have are +4 timing and milled head. I think I am pretty good on the mains. I am at 330 same as I was with my FMF fattys. I didn't mess with the needles because it felt alright when I was rippin around the yard. I also had my pro wedges mounted backwards I guess. I put them on with the scoops facing forward like a normal paddle but according to the arrows on the tire this is wrong. I ll probably try a larger sprocket and see what that does for it. It sucks because all of our sand riding areas are currently engulfed my the missouri river and I would like to get this sorted out before the fall rally in genoa.

The only other mods I have are +4 timing and milled head. I think I am pretty good on the mains. I am at 330 same as I was with my FMF fattys. I didn't mess with the needles because it felt alright when I was rippin around the yard. I also had my pro wedges mounted backwards I guess. I put them on with the scoops facing forward like a normal paddle but according to the arrows on the tire this is wrong. I ll probably try a larger sprocket and see what that does for it. It sucks because all of our sand riding areas are currently engulfed my the missouri river and I would like to get this sorted out before the fall rally in genoa.

I had to go up 3 jet sizes from the fmf pipes to the R2s

if I were you I would do a plug chop to check jetting

Edited by toytech

I did a plug check. I think I was a bit rich with the fattys. Plug was always dark brown like milk chocolate. Plug was more of a greyish black when I checked it after a few wide open runs. I guess I will try throwing the dirt tires back on it and bump the main up few sizes and see what she does. So what jetting are you guys ending up with?

I did a plug check. I think I was a bit rich with the fattys. Plug was always dark brown like milk chocolate. Plug was more of a greyish black when I checked it after a few wide open runs. I guess I will try throwing the dirt tires back on it and bump the main up few sizes and see what she does. So what jetting are you guys ending up with?

I am at Sea level in SoCal I am running 168 mains, 50 pilot, CEJ needle on the middle clip, 2 turns out on my A/F screw, Keihin 34mm PJ carbs, V-Force reeds, Dune Port, 50/50 Gas @55to1 Klotz Supertechniplate hope this helps.

use the search option and look for plug chop, looking at plugs after a few runs is not acurate enough.

Over the winter I installed a set of R2s and I was pretty impressed initially. I had only ridden the quad on hardpack or gravel with my 20" kenda claws. I took it to a local riding spot for a weekend trip. The riding area is all sand with alot of tight trails and some nice wide open spaces. I am running 22" pro wedges (also new over the winter). I am geared down one tooth on the front sprocket. This thing is terrible in the sand. I cannot get it to launch no matter what I try. It is also not alot of fun on the trails. My reason for the taller paddles was to gain some ground clearance as some of the trails get some pretty deep ruts. I figured that my gearing was low enough to compensate for the taller paddle also figured that these tires being so light would help out as well. So I am wondering what guys are running with these pipes.

Are you launching in 1st or 2nd? I don't think your main jetting is that far off, and if it was it wouldn't drastically affect the way the bike launches. And most do run the pro wedges/4 snows backwards. FYI.

I am launching in first. Are you saying that they mount them backwards from what the direction arrow says. I didn't even notice the arrows when I mounted them. I just figured that the scoops would face the same way as a normal sand paddle. I think if anything the needle is my problem. WOT seems fine but I may drop a jet size or two just to see what it does.

Per Tom Borrink, the pipes were designed to work with an exhaust port duration in the area of 198-200 degrees on a mid-displacement sized motor (like a 421). They're designed to evacuate more spent gasses than a t5 or fatty. I never ran them on a stock port 350 so I don't have any personal experience, but on my 421 serval the R2s destroyed the t5s in top end and carried out the over-rev way further after the T5s signed off. They also pulled on sooner and smoother (more traction with a smoother hit). They are really close to the CPIs I tried but the R2s come one a little sooner and and have better torque "below the pipe" while still revving out just like a CPI. My guess is there just isn't enough motor behind them with a stock 350. Its a similar concept to when guys run huge duration solid camshafts in their small block with headers and a huge carb with single plane intake manifold... but run stock heads. It usually sounds bad ass but the motor cannot pass enough air to make use of the "go-fast" parts and they end up with a motor that makes little torque to launch and wheezes on the big end.

As far as jetting goes, I found my engine likes a lean pilot jet compared to other pipes. I'm running a 45 pilot in my 35mm PWKs.