Banshee ignition switch questions

When I purchased my 2002 shee it had a toggle switch in place of the factory switch on the handlebar

Since rebuilding the bike I decided to not replace the switch and eliminated it off the bars with a new toggle switch to shut the engine off

Once the rebuild was completed,I checked for spark before totally assembling and intial startup

I now have spark whether the ignition toggle switch is off or on....also totally unplugged the switch and also have spark

This bike also came from factory without a key switch

Should mention that I replaced the wiring harness on the bike with a new one.....

Can anyone give me some ideas and things to do to remedy this??

Edited by Mister T

i THINK that the banshee uses a normally OPEN toggle switch. have you tried shorting the toggle switch wires to ground? I've never heard of a banshee straight from the factory without a key switch......i don't know if they would ever make them that way.....maybe it was a dealer done modification...

ALL Banshees came from the factory with a key switch, and for that matter with TORS. If it did not have a key switch, then it was a dealer mod. My father in law bought a Banshee from Bay Area Yamaha and they unplugged the TORS before the sold it to him.

What wire(s) exactly do you have the toggle switch hooked into? What is the Red/Black wire in the harness connected to? What is the Black/White wire connected to? Is the TORS system still there? Did you buy a harness for a 2002 or is it from some other year? Was it a brand new harness from a dealer or some hacked on POS from Ebay?

• 1 month later...

Im pretty sure that the red/black and the black wire you are refering to go to the key switch. When the red/black is grounded you will have spark (on) and when it is open, you will have occasional spark but not enough to run (off)!! I would connect the two and use the ON/OFF switch on the your left thumb, but that is just my .02!!