Hard to start on fresh rebuild

Hi guys, i finally rebuilt my whole engine from the cases up, and after putting it in the frame, i noticed its pretty hard to start, the only way i get it to fire every time is to squirt a little gas down the carbs, and then itll either run or stall out in a bit, it sounded like a fuel problem to me, so i made sure the petcock was flowwing, and i took both carbs apart for a second time, and cleaned them out with carb cleaner and an air compressor. i double checked that the slides were in the right carbs, and my bike has the tors eliminated and no tors box, so this is really puzzling me... banghead

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bowls are on the right carbs, the choke tube is brand new and on there, and all the internals are new, i didnt measure it but i can feel it has alot of compression compared to before. ive gotten it to run for a minute before, would the fuel line running up hill cause this?

Take the screw loose in the bottom of your float bowl and see if fuel runs out or not. It sounds like you are not getting any fuel in the bowls. Needle could be installed wrong and not letting fuel in.

Take the screw loose in the bottom of your float bowl and see if fuel runs out or not. It sounds like you are not getting any fuel in the bowls. Needle could be installed wrong and not letting fuel in.

hmm, idk i took my carbs apart for a second time, and put them back together very carefully, while cleaning everything :confused: idk it deff sounds like its not getting gas, but everything is flowing as it should, i doesnt add up banghead

no no.....he's telliing you to look at your carbs while they are on the bike. There is a carb bowl drain screw that is on the side of the carbs.....what he's trying to get you to do is to loosen that screw so that it will drain the carb bowl and you will be able to see if there is gas even filling the carb bowls. and how in the hell did you manage to get your gas line to go upward?

no no.....he's telliing you to look at your carbs while they are on the bike. There is a carb bowl drain screw that is on the side of the carbs.....what he's trying to get you to do is to loosen that screw so that it will drain the carb bowl and you will be able to see if there is gas even filling the carb bowls. and how in the hell did you manage to get your gas line to go upward?

I know, but unfortunatly i believe the screws are seized in place, im going to try again but i agree it deff sounds like no gas. my fuel line goes slightly upward for a little bit cause there is a boost bottle (start laughing now) and it was on there when i got it, so i put back on with new carb manifolds, cause i didnt have a stock balence pipe, but the fuel line goes slightly uphill to clear the boost bottle, then goes back down towrds the carbs. could i plug up the holes on the manifolds, cause boost bottles seem to cause nothing but problems, what would i use to do this, and would it run right? thanks guys

Most after market manifolds don't even have those holes, but you could go to a hardware store and get some plugs and put jb weld around them to block it off, but make sure it doesnt leak

yeah i was thinking something along those lines, i remember memebers talking about this, and someone had a good plug, i just cant remember what it was, lol

Most after market manifolds don't even have those holes, but you could go to a hardware store and get some plugs and put jb weld around them to block it off, but make sure it doesnt leak

Exactly what I did. Took boot to hardware, found a plug that fit good (1/2" pvc plug/cap I think) gooped it up good with 3-bond , clamps. No ill effects of no balance tube. Go back thru carbs making sure you can see thru each jet, and when you blow air thru every hole in carb including bowls be sure you feel or hear it coming out some where. Might have to soak them. Be sure when you set float level it is with no gasket (18mm IIRC). Tripple check that slide cutaway faces air box, and bowl with BB on front/bottom is on left carb. :cheers:

Exactly what I did. Took boot to hardware, found a plug that fit good (1/2" pvc plug/cap I think) gooped it up good with 3-bond , clamps. No ill effects of no balance tube. Go back thru carbs making sure you can see thru each jet, and when you blow air thru every hole in carb including bowls be sure you feel or hear it coming out some where. Might have to soak them. Be sure when you set float level it is with no gasket (18mm IIRC). Tripple check that slide cutaway faces air box, and bowl with BB on front/bottom is on left carb. :cheers:

i thought it was 20-22mm measuring from the gasket surface (without the gasket in place) to the top of the float?

ive blown out all the holes with carb cleaner and an air compresser pretty thourougly, and the float hight is where it was before the rebuild. i like the idea about the pipe plugs in the boost bottle holes, and im going to put yamabond around it to seal it perfectly. im pretty sure the boost bottle is the problem because unless you bend the line down with your hands the carbs dont look like theylle get any gas, so im gonna go to the hardware store today, thanks everyone ill tell ya what happens after.

I'm Sofa King We Todd Did , Jerame is correct on float height. banghead . :cheers:

mmm, ive poured gas down the fuel line with a funnel, and the carbs do not leak at all, and i was able to loosen the left side carbs float bowl screw and gas came out, but the right side is stripped out banghead i assume if the left was getting gas then the right was too, which means the fuel line uphill is the issue.