Wet Filter Causes Lean Condition

i didn't get to read up an all the merged threads, and anything since yesterday, but anyways, you are experiencing what happens with stock banshee carbs..... throw any other aftermarket carbs on there and the problem goes away. you just have to burn off the moisture in the carbs and it will go back to normal. you can alternate the choke to burn it off, like when starting it after washing, or in a humid morn..... i used to just ride it out after crossing a creek...... i cannot tell you exactly what the phenomenon is, only speculate as to the venturri effect, or to do with the emultion tube in place of needle tube. on the stock carb, the air jet is freakin huge, basically a gaping hole, and i suspect that lets water in around with the fuel in the emultion tube, and it has to clear out to let the fuel pass, yet air can still get into the needle socket..... long story short- i don't think it's really fixable.... aside from swaping carbs, or keeping any water out..

We were out today, his machine was doing it ALOT, he had washed it last night... But heres the weird thing we took the filter off and it cleared up instantly, now that doesnt mean take off your filter and it will be fine by any means, But we put the filter back on without the outer filter (like i said it was a dual stage) and had no problems the rest of the time. No major water today but there was some

Ok man we can work with that. I work long hours too, it sucks!

I tried starting fluid on my buddys and got nothin

is there anyway it could be a slight leak in the adapter from filter to carb? if the added resistance with water on the filter creates anymore vacuum maybe it starts sucking air through a small crack in the boot? far fetched but ive seen weirder things happen.

is there anyway it could be a slight leak in the adapter from filter to carb? if the added resistance with water on the filter creates anymore vacuum maybe it starts sucking air through a small crack in the boot? far fetched but ive seen weirder things happen.

Nah, It's something I thought of too and not so far fetched. I had actually taken the rubber off and inspected and stretched it quite a bit in my hands. It was all mint. Nice and shiny and pliable. I let my buddy satisfy himself (and me) with the brake cleaner (inert, non-flamable type) in case I missed something or in case it might be somewhere else i didn't actually look. It should have caused a bog if there was a leak.

I ran the Blaster today and started spraying the filter and the only time I could get it to race was when I blipped the throttle. So I would have to say that DEFINITELY was a sticky slide. However, the similarity was there in that it began with a little blip but the RPMs continued to run away even though I never squeezed the throttle beyond 1/4-1/2ish.

...... i cannot tell you exactly what the phenomenon is, only speculate as to the venturri effect, or to do with the emultion tube in place of needle tube. on the stock carb, the air jet is freakin huge, basically a gaping hole, and i suspect that lets water in around with the fuel in the emultion tube, and it has to clear out to let the fuel pass, yet air can still get into the needle socket..... long story short- i don't think it's really fixable.... aside from swaping carbs, or keeping any water out..

You know, I think we're running headlong into the reason (whatever it is) that Yamaha/Mikuni put that pooh.gif TORS box on the top of the carbs and I think I'm finally going to concede that there is something going on here that even their engineers couldn't do anything about so the TORS was their "fix". Thanks All :cheers:

Edited by muggzy

thats a pretty good thought actually. the tors was just a halfass fix.

FWIW and i know some people like them but as far as i am concerned most mikuni carbs are junk. the one on my dirtbike pisses me off about everytime i ride it. when i replace it with a 38mm pwk i am smashing that bitch with a hammer.

the ones on my motorcycle work ok most of the time until they mysteriously get dirty and it refuses to start in a parking lot somewhere. that bitch is kick only too.

thats a pretty good thought actually. the tors was just a halfass fix.

FWIW and i know some people like them but as far as i am concerned most mikuni carbs are junk. the one on my dirtbike pisses me off about everytime i ride it. when i replace it with a 38mm pwk i am smashing that bitch with a hammer.

the ones on my motorcycle work ok most of the time until they mysteriously get dirty and it refuses to start in a parking lot somewhere. that bitch is kick only too.

Yeah, I've developed an irrational attachment to the stock carbs and wasn't willing to give em up so easily. Probably why I've been wasting so much time trying to fix what's wrong. Thanks for the input :cheers:

Nah, It's something I thought of too and not so far fetched. I had actually taken the rubber off and inspected and stretched it quite a bit in my hands. It was all mint. Nice and shiny and pliable. I let my buddy satisfy himself (and me) with the brake cleaner (inert, non-flamable type) in case I missed something or in case it might be somewhere else i didn't actually look. It should have caused a bog if there was a leak.

I ran the Blaster today and started spraying the filter and the only time I could get it to race was when I blipped the throttle. So I would have to say that DEFINITELY was a sticky slide. However, the similarity was there in that it began with a little blip but the RPMs continued to run away even though I never squeezed the throttle beyond 1/4-1/2ish.

You know, I think we're running headlong into the reason (whatever it is) that Yamaha/Mikuni put that pooh.gif TORS box on the top of the carbs and I think I'm finally going to concede that there is something going on here that even their engineers couldn't do anything about so the TORS was their "fix". Thanks All :cheers:

actually, i don't think the tors is triggered, or designed to be triggered by the water effect, iirc........ tors was an idiot-proofing for physically stuck cables, since they know few people will actually get in there and lube them as often as they should, or even put it back together right..... the banshee/blaster, to the bast of my knowledge, have the only carbs that utilize an emulsion tube of that design, and the enormous airjet to accommodate it's use..... that is the reason, i tend to lean toward that as the culprit...... maybe one day, if i get bored enough, i'll set up and tune a stock carb with a conventional tube and appropriate air jet, and see if that nixes the issue..... or one of you guys are welcome to run the tests......

actually, i don't think the tors is triggered, or designed to be triggered by the water effect...

Damnit, you're right. If a slide sticks, (that's below the TORS box) and unless the cable is held back b/c of it, the TORS won't know it. Fuck it anyway, I'm gonna start saving for some after market carbs. Anyone got a set of 28mm PWKs?