New Member, New to Banshee

Im picking up a new leftover 2009 Banshee tomorrow. (they still sell them here in the Middle East... not sure about the US?). Anyways, any pointers for a Banshee Newb? I haven't owned a 2 stroke isince I was a kid, so Im basically learing from sctratch. Im thinking about a pipe, filter, and rejet eventually, but now I just want to get to know the bike as it is. Im here at Sea Level, so I guess the stock setup should be good for a while? Are the basic bolt-on mods a good starting upgrade when I decide to do so? Is converting to a single carb setup worth while? I will be new to re-jetting, but not afraid to learn the process, and Ive turned wrenches quite a bit on previous motorcycles and cars. Any Vendor sell staged upgrade packages? Anyways, thanks in advance for any advise. I plan on doing a lot of reading here to learn about these machines.

Tim

09 Banshee

Saudi (Im from US)

Welcome to the one and only BHQ and your new addiction and be prepared to be broke as a joke. By the way I would keep your premix at 32 to 1 until break in is complete and then switch to 40 to 1 if you want. As far as a single carb I would stick with the twin carb setup personally. My first mods would be a TORS elimination kit an adjustable timing plate, pipes, K&N fiter with adapter and rejet and that thing and it will be a whole different animal. Good luck and post up some pics. Oh and do yourself a favor and go buy a service manual also.

:cheers:

Welcome to BansheeHQ Tim.

A good start to mods is your basic bolt ons. Pipes, filter set up, cool head or milled head, adjustable timing plate, tors removal kit. Just a few bolt ons will make it a whole new machine. Make sure you properly jet after doing certain motor mods, you don't want to melt your motor down.

As for the single carb, I would suggest running the duel setup. Your stock carbs will run up to 65-70HP no problem, and you wont be running those numbers unless you port your cylinders.

Like said above 32:1 is good for break in, then you are safe running 40:1. I've always had great luck with Klotz R-50, but its all personal preference.

Welcome to the one and only BHQ and your new addiction and be prepared to be broke as a joke. By the way I would keep your premix at 32 to 1 until break in is complete and then switch to 40 to 1 if you want. As far as a single carb I would stick with the twin carb setup personally. My first mods would be a TORS elimination kit an adjustable timing plate, pipes, K&N fiter with adapter and rejet and that thing and it will be a whole different animal. Good luck and post up some pics. Oh and do yourself a favor and go buy a service manual also.

:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome and the pointers MJM. Ok I will forget the single carb idea. Im a newb, so bare with me! There doesn't seem to be a banshee newb forum, or a bolt on mod stickey like Ive seen on other forums....at least people are friendly here and didn't just yell at me and tell me to use the search feature. I will look into the TORS elim and some pipes and filter/re-jetting. I will try to get some pics ASAP.

Welcome to BansheeHQ Tim.

A good start to mods is your basic bolt ons. Pipes, filter set up, cool head or milled head, adjustable timing plate, tors removal kit. Just a few bolt ons will make it a whole new machine. Make sure you properly jet after doing certain motor mods, you don't want to melt your motor down.

As for the single carb, I would suggest running the duel setup. Your stock carbs will run up to 65-70HP no problem, and you wont be running those numbers unless you port your cylinders.

Like said above 32:1 is good for break in, then you are safe running 40:1. I've always had great luck with Klotz R-50, but its all personal preference.

Thanks for the welcome Special Ed (Ha!) -

I will just stick to the basic bolt-ons. I have a couple questions- Can I do the +4 degrees timing plate on just pump premium gas? Same question for the milled head or cool head (pump gas OK with that, and whats the difference between the 2? I will make sure to properly jet, and will look here to this forum for pointers ion the re-jetting when I upgrade. I will check out the Klotz as well. One last question- Are the graphics on you Shee the stock graphics? I like the old school looking yamaha graphics like on yours, and my shee has OK graphics, I just prefer the old school ones I guess. Where could I get ones like that, do you thing they would look good on my red Shee?

Thanks again!

Tim

2009 Banshee

I will just stick to the basic bolt-ons. I have a couple questions- Can I do the +4 degrees timing plate on just pump premium gas? Same question for the milled head or cool head (pump gas OK with that, and whats the difference between the 2? I will make sure to properly jet, and will look here to this forum for pointers ion the re-jetting when I upgrade. I will check out the Klotz as well. One last question- Are the graphics on you Shee the stock graphics? I like the old school looking yamaha graphics like on yours, and my shee has OK graphics, I just prefer the old school ones I guess. Where could I get ones like that, do you thing they would look good on my red Shee?

Thanks again!

Tim

2009 Banshee

Welcome to the BHQ LS3......

yes you can go to +4 on just pump gas. and yes you run the same on the cool head or milled head. The difference in the heads is that the milled head (stock head that has been shaved down) will increase compression but once its shaved....its shaved for good. With a cool-head you can purchase different combustion domes (with difference cc's) and you can change them out whenever you want. so if you wanted to run higher compression (for more power which also would require more octane in your motor) you could pull your head real quick and change your domes. The next day you want to run just high octane pump fuel? just pull your head real quick again and put the larger cc sized domes in to allow you to run just high pump fuel...

for the most part the appearance of the graphics has stayed the same. There are different aftermarket sticker kits out there that you can also purchase. And honestly if your looking for all new original graphics....then you're gonna be shocked when you see the price......it'll set you back a few hundred bucks.... yea....its a rip off to get the stock graphics...

Thanks again!

Tim

2009 Banshee

Yeah +4 is safe on pump gas no problems. As for the cool head, it really comes down to your elevation and what domes you choose.

Yeah the graphics and plastics are all stock on my bike. I love the look, so I haven't put stickers all over it or cut my plastics :headbang:

If your looking for different graphics on your bike I would hit up JD for some: http://www.jdscustoms.com/Yamaha_Banshee_Graphics.htm