Acting up after making extention tubes for pod filters.

Had the jetting pretty close to perfect, ran the bike for a weekend this past fall and found my pod filters were too close to the exhaust. Made some PVC extentions (roughly 8") to get them away from the exhaust. Running short on time, I didn't run it around the house to make sure everything was cool. Got out in the dunes, and I can't dump the fuel to it. Will these extensions I made really affect my jetting that much? Runs awesome on top, but it takes some clutch and feathering to get up there. I assume I'm lean, but correct me if I'm wrong. Has anybody run into this? Oh, all the fittings are sealed. No vac leaks. Any input would be appreciated.

There is such a thing as tuned intake tract length. Not sure if it affects reed valve engines the same as a piston port. Check your plugs. If you are running rich, it's having an adverse effect, if it is now running lean it may be actually be an improvement in air flow.

If you can somewhat duplicate conditions around home, try pulling choke out halfway. If it gets better your lean. :cheers:

Edited by Larry's Shee

I've done what you did and had similar results. The deal is....you can't run the extentions without it causing a bog. And if your using POD style filters (I had the K&N's) Your motor is getting starved. (I saw a 2 HP drop on the dyno from them.) Hope that helps you make your next decision....to get some 3" angle boot filters.

Maybe too much weight on the end of the carbs causing a an air leak between the carb and manifold or manifold and reeds?

That's what I was gonna say.

Just zip-tie the filters together or get some header wrap to keep them off the exhaust. I tried exactly what your doing on my first Banshee and the weight would actually pull a carb completely out of the intake if I hit a small bump.

I've had the same issue, and talked to a couple builders that said that's a bad deal. If you put any kind of extension in front of the carb it has to be a certain shape or you get the bog. Never heard of anybody being able to get it worked out. Pods have to go directly on the carbs. If you have fitment issues swap intakes, pods or whatever to get everything to fit.