occasionally dune

qboronyrican

thanks for all the reply's .....wacko~i plan on going to south jersey.....no where special.....where is glamis?

how do you determine how many paddles to get....6, 8. 9 ect.?

The number of paddles comes from how much traction you want, how much power you make & how long your swingarm is. The longer the swingarm, the more you loose traction & your wheels tend to spin. So, the longer the swingarm, the more paddles. The more power you make, the easier it will be for your engine to break the rear end loose and spin the tires, so you add paddles with power. It also depends on what surface you're riding on. Soft fluffy sand = more paddles, hard wet sand = fewer paddles. Then you have the thickness of the paddles and the buff of the carcass of the tire to play with. The more buff's they take off the carcass the lighter the tire is. The more buffs the tire has, the easier it will be to puncture. We ride on dunes that have a lot of haggard sandstone and rocks & roots & shit, so I always go with a standard buff tire. They are heavier, but hold up to our dunes so that's what I get. I'd rip through super-light triple buffs in one ride at KP. The thicker paddles tend to bend over under power a lot less. The lighter the paddle the easier it will be to spin...

For every 2" of swingarm over stock I like to add a paddle. If you make over 65-70 hp go with the extremes, or run more hauler paddles. On my stock stroke dune bike I have a +8 swingarm (overkill, I know) and I'm going to buy a set of 22x11x8 10paddle haulers for it. If the swingarm were shorter I would go with a 21x12x8 9paddle hauler.

The over-all height of the tire will also change things. The taller tires with a smaller rim (22" with 8" rim or 21" with 8" rim) will tend to balloon out and you will gain a couple inches in rollout once your wheel-speed is up. Similar to what the tires on the top fuel drag cars do when they launch, just not quite as extreme. LOL The bigger the rim, the stiffer the sidewall will act and the less the tire will try and grow at high speeds. The smaller rims will also allow the sidewall of the tire to give a little bit when you turn, and will let the sidewall flex a little more on impact and give you a softer feeling ride.

There's a lot of thought that needs to go into the correct tire selection.

For your setup I would go with a 21x12x8 8 or 9 paddle hauler. 8 or 9 paddles depending on how much traction you want. If you like to do wheelies then go with 9's. If you prefer wheel-spin then go with the 8's.

Edited by BigRed350x