DIY Powdercoating...

NoReGrEtSeE00

Anyone ever done with at their own place? I know I can pick up powder and a gun. But Would a conventional oven be hot enough to melt and give the metal that shine just like the pros? Any one know?

i do PC at home and to tell you the truth get a gun from harbor freight and some powder off ebay its easyier than sraypainting first you want to use a cardboardbox or a plywoodbox and you put down a plastic bag so the oversray can be reused. now back to the box you want it to have 2 open sides the top and the side your going to sray with then poke holes through the box or if made of wood drill and put some thick wire like fence wire through both sides now hang the part on the wire with a small wire. then atach your ground to the wire and pull the trigger also do not touch the end i accidently did and pissed my self it shocked the crap out of me but once coated very thick(you can never put to much) hang it in a oven from the racks with wire for he secified heat and time but if no time when the coating starts to smoke a lil bit its cured and yes it will look just as good as the pros also NEVER USE A GAS OVEN as the particles can exlode and never use the oven for cooking one owder coat has been done in it and youll want to spray from about 8in and if you get to close it will throw a sartk from about 5in a harbor freight gun is just as good as anyother

The Harbor Fright (no, I didn't for get the e) setup seems to be decent for home use, just what I need for little stuff.

What do you use to remove the old paint?

Chemical strippers are the easiest way to remove old paint and powdercoat. I've had good luck with Kleen-Strip products.

As far as the type of oven you use, you can most definitely use a gas oven. The oven I use every day is gas, and every PC shop I've ever been to uses gas ovens. If you're using a household oven, leave the door cracked slightly to let out any moisture that WILL build up. Other than the moisture, you won't have any issues with using a gas oven.

Older powder used to be combustible, but that hasn't been an issue for the last 15 years.

Remember to preheat your part slightly. You will get much better results.

No dont use your household oven as you will get fumes depending on the powder. Just keep your eyes open on craigslist and garage sales and shit. I got a range for free because the burners didnt work on top, but the oven works perfect. Look around you will get one for nothing or next to it and just stick it in the garage. If you are only looking to do really small parts even a toaster oven will work

I have access to oven and guns at work. I used them on my recent rebuilds. Although I have done it at home before. If you plan on doing any candy you will need a pretty powerful gun to get an even coat. Large frames need a strong gun. You should see the powder wrap around and stick to the part. I have a blasting cabinet big enough for everything accept frames. Although powder coat is tough to blast. Burn off ovens are best for steel parts, but aluminum cant be placed in a burn off oven because it will aneal. I use a product called Aquastrip ACB for dipping powder coated parts. It removes powder and leaves a bare metal finish overnight. I then lightly blast before recoating. You may also find having a local powder coat shop doing the burn off and blasting is easier on large parts. I had all my frames burned and blasted for $60 bucks a piece and then just shoot and bake the powder myself vs paying $250-300 a frame to have them done. It is easy to do once you get setup especially all the smaller components.

i took an old shower unit and made it my powder booth, works well, easy to clean. id say start with at least a dual or adjustable voltage gun from caswell or eastwood you will outgrow the HF gun in short order. i built an oven extension so my std kitchen oven will fit a swingarm. i learned all the tricks off powder365.com forum, and there is a guy on there selling a used adj caswell gun for $50 which is a great price. its not hard to do but is time consuming and to do it right you need a fair amount of supplies and equipment.

No dont use your household oven as you will get fumes depending on the powder. Just keep your eyes open on craigslist and garage sales and shit. I got a range for free because the burners didnt work on top, but the oven works perfect. Look around you will get one for nothing or next to it and just stick it in the garage. If you are only looking to do really small parts even a toaster oven will work

Damn not a Bad Idea at all, I got a few small parts that I want to be color changed, but The frame I'll most likely have to send out to be blasted and sprayed.

I do all my little parts myself with a home over...working on getting a bigger one soon....And just for the record everygood powder coater has shocked themself with the gun at least once....whole left side of my body was numb for 2 hours....

• 1 month later...

i picked up a eastwood gun and couldnt be happier with it. they are 99 but on sale for 59 every now and then. now is the best time to pick up a oven as alot of people are doing spring cleaning, thats what i did. drove around town for an hour and came home with a perfectly good oven. the key to a nice job is mainly in the prep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the entry level Eastwood gun myself. Everything I could fit in the over on my Banshee and Blaster is PC'ed.

I'm a fan of sandblasting anything that isn't PC'ed already for prepping a piece.

Make sure you clean the part real good after Blasting and use a propane torch to burn off the lint from your rag and pre-heat the part.

Buy yourself a silicone plug kit it makes life alot easier and use tin foil to cover the odd stuff you don't want the powder to get on.

Best things I ever cooked in my old oven were quad parts haha

Edited by Paulie B