banshee back after top end rebuild

blue beast

Tomorrow I am getting my 2003 banshee back after a top end rebuild. Talked to the guy that is rebuilding it, and he said that it only had 105lbs on a compression test. So after tearing in to it he found that one of the pistons had a crack in it. Says that nothing else has been hurt and everything else looks great. Now as far as breaking it in I don't know how to break 2-strokes in. So if you would please help me out and give me a few pointers I will greatly appreciate every ones input. I will be running the klotz green label oil. at 32-1. pump gas(93)

Thanks to everyone

Tomorrow I am getting my 2003 banshee back after a top end rebuild. Talked to the guy that is rebuilding it, and he said that it only had 105lbs on a compression test. So after tearing in to it he found that one of the pistons had a crack in it. Says that nothing else has been hurt and everything else looks great. Now as far as breaking it in I don't know how to break 2-strokes in. So if you would please help me out and give me a few pointers I will greatly appreciate every ones input. I will be running the klotz green label oil. at 32-1. pump gas(93)

Thanks to everyone

i usually heat cycle mine a couple times and check the torque on the head bolts and then ride it like i stole it.

1. start let it warm up. then shut it off let cool. 2 start again let warm up, and ride around 1-3 gear not hitting the power band but not stay in one gear. do that for about 10-15 mins then let cool. 3 start again let warm up , and now ride in gears 4-6 hitting the power band for short moments and not stayong in one gear to long. do that for another 10-15min let cool. your motor is now broke in.

Thanks guys I'll prolly do the more detailed break in. The other question I was going to ask was what jets do you think should be in there. Has HMF Fattys and have the V-Force reeds. Not sure about what ones I think maybe the 2's, but mechanic said they were carbon fiber. If that helps anyone. But when I pick it up tomorrow I am going to ask him what he had put in there. I am in the St.Louis area and will be running NKG BR8ES plugs.

Thanks again For all who reply

straight from a site sponsor on here.......he says that you should start it and run the motor for 10-15 minutes and then shut it down all while blipping the throttle so that it does not sit and idle at the same RPM. Then let the bike cool completely down. Then restart it and let it build up some heat (while still doing the throttle blip) and then ride it 1-3rd gear.....going easy on it and not getting into the throttle hard for more than 2-3 second.........also do not stay at the same speed....you need to keep the rpms varying. Do this for 10-15 minutes then let the bike cool down again. Continue doing the heat cycles this way until you burn 3/4 of a tank. Then do your plug chops and if your getting is good then your fully broke in and ready to rock!

probably get shit for this but i can say this.

check the jetting and the bolts and coolant and stuff make sure its not going to loose something.. then i take it out to a dirt road warm them up, and make about 2-3 passes at nearly full throttle then check everything again. then make about 2-5 more full throttle runs and i mean every gear through 5th. i dont care what you read or what anyone says. i have broke in motor all pussy and heat cycle and shit. and after about a year if you take them apart they have a shit ton of blow by pass the rings and the loose power. ( i ride a LOT) after i have broke them in hard like that the engines seem to last a few years longer and the pistons are not as bad with blow by ( after 2 times the run time.)

i have also seen this done on dyno's unless you guys think that those all new motors your paying for and have dyno runs for were heat cycled for a few hours ( and you paid for that time also)

this is what works for me on my personal motors and what i have seen over and over again with engines i have had apart and worked on. its my own first hand personal experience.

rings are seated with pressure and not just spring pressure.

ive never been a believer in the pussy break in either. After a year of beating the hell out of the last engine with its new topend, it had lost less than 5psi in each cylinder. this is riding almost every weekend when it was warm and 2 trips to the dunes.

ive never been a believer in the pussy break in either. After a year of beating the hell out of the last engine with its new topend, it had lost less than 5psi in each cylinder. this is riding almost every weekend when it was warm and 2 trips to the dunes.

why is it the pussy why? it how i do my break in. i don't call your way the dumb-ass way do i. everybody was their own way of doing things.

why is it the pussy why? it how i do my break in. i don't call your way the dumb-ass way do i. everybody was their own way of doing things.

herp derp derp derp.

I was referring to camatv's post.

so would you like to continue? :confused: