Can jets really make a major difference?

troyzstang

WTF would you run CPI Big Bore pipes on a stock motor with stock carbs, etc.? (I know it doens't sound like an answer to your problem....but it just might be a little part of the cause. NOTE: Bigger isn't always better. :shrugani:

Yes, jets can make a big difference. Too big and you foul out plugs and loose HP from to rich a mixture. Too small and you burn up the whole pile of aluminum. :shrugani:

I'm with John on the pipes. Unless you're gonna make some serious motor changes I'd be swappin those out for a smaller pipe. Unless you've got crazy mods already, hen u need to ditch the stock carbs. That's not causing your running issue though. How new is this bike? I saw u yanked the torrs already, how bout a clutch switch? Do ya have one of those?

When you did the TORS elimination, did you unplug the actual TORS control box under the left side of the fuel tank next to the coil? If it is a 97 model or newer, you should also eliminate the park brake rev limiter. Go to the back of the bike and locate the plug for the CDI box,find the green/yellow wire and cut it out of the BIKE HARNESS. DO NOT cut it on the CDI box side of the plug. This will use the connector plug to insulate the wire from the CDI box. If you want you can open up the harness wrap and remove the unused wires.

Edited by bansheesandrider

When you did the TORS elimination, did you unplug the actual TORS control box under the left side of the fuel tank next to the coil? If it is a 97 model or newer, you should also eliminate the park brake rev limiter. Go to the back of the bike and locate the plug for the CDI box,find the green/yellow wire and cut it out of the BIKE HARNESS. DO NOT cut it on the CDI box side of the plug. This will use the connector plug to insulate the wire from the CDI box. If you want you can open up the harness wrap and remove the unused wires.

This was going to be my next question. If you didnt disconect everything the bike is basically cuttiing the ignition as soon as you touch the throttle. the pipes may not be ideal for your applicaton, but you should be able to make the bike run well, not like you are currently describing it. Sounds like you have a problem. Did you synch the carbs, have you performed a leak down test

WTF would you run CPI Big Bore pipes on a stock motor with stock carbs, etc.? (I know it doens't sound like an answer to your problem....but it just might be a little part of the cause. NOTE: Bigger isn't always better. :shrugani:

Yes, jets can make a big difference. Too big and you foul out plugs and loose HP from to rich a mixture. Too small and you burn up the whole pile of aluminum. :shrugani:

Thanks for responses

1) The pipes were on the bike when I bought it.

2) Tors wiring system is disconnected at the box .

3) Pasted leakdown specs

4) 125lb compression both sides dead on

5) Carbs synced by sight only

If i could make any progress in the right direction. There's got to something stupid I'm missing. banghead

Do you have an aftermarket head? If so, what size domes do you have? If you have a stock head, is it milled? What is your elevation? Depending on this information, your motor may be on the downward fall for compression.

Stock head with stock specs.

Check the slides in the carb to see if they are in there correctly.

If they are in there backwards they will run like shit too.

The slanted side if the slide should be towards the back of the carbs facing the air box.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think the slides could go in wrong?

And yes the choke tube is in place.

At my wits end banghead

At my wits end banghead

Troy i tried to call you the other day, but the wife said you were at work. Have you tried the park brake rev limiter. I know if i have mine on, and give it gas, it bogs down really bad. Just another option. If not i will try and get up with you this weekend, and we will get it figured out.