Wireless router and modem

I'm really sick of my slow internet. Right now I just have a Verizon air card, and it SUCKS!

I want to get a wireless router and modem set-up in my house. The problem is, I know nothing about what brands or anything to buy. I was thinking of either getting internet through Comcast or Quest since they both offer great high speed setups.

So any suggestions of what kinds or brands of wireless routers and modems should I be looking for? I've had friends tell me a good wireless router in like $80, and a good modem is like $60 or so...

Thanks, -Zach

I'm really sick of my slow internet. Right now I just have a Verizon air card, and it SUCKS!

I want to get a wireless router and modem set-up in my house. The problem is, I know nothing about what brands or anything to buy. I was thinking of either getting internet through Comcast or Quest since they both offer great high speed setups.

So any suggestions of what kinds or brands of wireless routers and modems should I be looking for? I've had friends tell me a good wireless router in like $80, and a good modem is like $60 or so...

Thanks, -Zach

Whichever service provider you choose should provide the modem for i think somewhere around 5$ a month ask them. As far as routers go anything from walmart like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert-E2000-Selectable-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/14066654 should do the job, you don't need a $120 router to check emails and browse the net the cheaper ones will do just fine.

Whichever service provider you choose should provide the modem for i think somewhere around 5$ a month ask them. As far as routers go anything from walmart like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert-E2000-Selectable-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/14066654 should do the job, you don't need a $120 router to check emails and browse the net the cheaper ones will do just fine.

Okay thats good to know. Yeah I think its like 7 bucks a month to rent the modem, I thought about just buying one...i don't know.

I dont know a damn thing about computers and electronics, so any advise helps. Yeah I'm just going to be using the net to check email, facebook, and of course BHQ :headbang:

i have ran d-link,net-gear, linksys routers and they all suck would drop the connection couldnt get a connection upstairs. i bought a apple router and have never once dropped a signal since. and you can hook a hard drive to it and use for networking and i can use my laptop at the park 3 houses down on my router as well. you get what you pay for.

i have ran d-link,net-gear, linksys routers and they all suck would drop the connection couldnt get a connection upstairs. i bought a apple router and have never once dropped a signal since. and you can hook a hard drive to it and use for networking and i can use my laptop at the park 3 houses down on my router as well. you get what you pay for.

Spend the extra money and get the dual band router, you WILL use it in the future. I have the E300 by linksys and its awesome. Can use multiple devices with very minimal interference. What ever you get, update the firmware immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

i have setup hundreds, yes hundreds, of routers, Wireless APs and switches.

Linksys is my number one choice for home/small office use...but D Link and Netgear aren't far behind.

Linksys is now owned by Cisco, the biggest name in the network business.

Depending on your provider, you might want to rent their modem and not buy it. When I bought my house, I started with Comcast, bought my modem and it worked fine.

I hate Comcast. They lasted a month...and I got Wide Open West. That modem I bought would not work right with their system. I rented theirs.

I've been on ATT UVerse since Dec. of 2007. They have their own Router with wireless built in.

The only time you need to spend the primo coin on a wireless AP is if you need extended range or advanced features like the ability to plug in a USB thumb drive, external Hard Drive, etc.

Everything about wireless range depends on two things. Distance and building composition. A signal will pass through drywall easier than brick, period.

Same thing about floors....

See if your provider will lease you a modem with wireless built in. If not, a wireless AP is 50 to 75 bones. MAKE SURE, MAKE SURE, MAKE SURE you take the time to lock it down with a password to access it.

Here's what I tell all my clients. Nothing digital is impenetrable.

If someone wants your data, they're gonna get it. But if you make it harder work for the occasional or drive by (yes, drive by) novice hacker, they will move on to the next easy target.

I tell my clients this as well for an analogy. I could put 10 deadbolts on your front door of the house. If you don't lock them...your chances of someone walking through the door go up...

Now, if someone wants to get in your home bad enough...they will find another way.

The key is not making it easy for someone...