running race fuel and such.

Gummie_guy

well, ive been thinking about this a lot lately and i think its something i want to do. ive been looking for a coolhead of some sort and think i may have found one. i just need to know what i need to do in order to run 110 in my shee. motor is supposedly .040 over but i cannot say for sure because i havent opened it up. stock carbs with jets, some pipes and a gay ass boost bottle. im thinking i may want to order some domes for 93 octane and then some for the 110. what cc domes should i be buying for both? are there any other things i need to consider when switching to race fuel such as jet size or fuel screw adjustments?

ive also been thinking about my timing, and am going to look at the stock plate mod if that would be a good thing to do.

been reading around about porting and that its one of the best things you can do for power. if mine are in fact stock is porting something i can do by myself with fairly good results? ive got a bit of cylinder head porting experience for car engines.

all help is appreciated thanks.

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/cylinder-porting-diy-25773/ Good DIY for clean-up porting. For real increase you need to know what you are doing. 1/2* or 1/2mm off and you will have some purdie paper weights. :jesterlaugh: Plus you need to read Gorden Jennings and H. Gramn Bell's books to understand what you are doing. By the time you get those books read and (maybe) understood, a site sponser could have your jugs back to you and be done correctly. :jesterlaugh: JMHO, your results may (and will) vary. :jesterlaugh:

if your thinking of getting the port work done to add some good power then send the jugs out to a site sponsor.......like Larry said....you really gotta know what your doing before you start just grinding away. 4stroke porting and 2stroke porting are totally different because the timing of the ports (ie when the pistons open and close the transfer ports) is pretty critical. and if your thinking of getting it ported you may also want to look into just having the site sponsor bore it and hone it for you and order rebuild kit through them. unless of course you know for sure that your rebuild was done correctly relatively recently. its alot easier to get it done all at once than to take it all apart twice because you held off on doing a rebuild. and the site sponsors can actually get your rebuild done usually for cheaper than you can because they get their pistons at a killer rate....

there is no reason to buy another set of domes just to run race gas. you will not get a bunch of power out of it and "race" gas by itself does not produce any power on top of pump gas. High octane gas is for those who are limited by detonation on pump gas. save yourself some money.

alright guys, ive been reading around the interwebz on runnin some race fuel in a banshee. for the most part what im reading is with added compression and timing there is a benefit from running race fuel. even if its not much. but i also read that porting and carb upgrades also help with this power. should i just buy some domes for 93 octane fuel right now and then if i have the motor ported/rebuilt later on get some domes for race fuel? or is it actually possible/practical for me to up the compression and run it and get a little more power? cost of fuel doesnt matter much to me at all so dont take that into consideration at all.

race fuel (high octane fuel) doesn't add power.....it can actually hamper power. This is because high octane fuel actually burns SLOWER than lower octane fuels. however people use race fuel in banshee's that have high combustion pressures because once you pass into high pressure levels low octane fuel actually becomes unstable and will pre-ignite or "detonate" early. This will actually hammer the force against a piston that is still moving upward and will begin to hurt your motor. it can lead to broken pistons to moved metal on the pison and head (looks like a midget with a hacksaw went at your shit). When detonation happens is when you NEED to step up to a higher octane fuel. it does not add power. its the raised compression (lowered dome size) that up the pressure causing a rise in power...

its the raised compression (lowered dome size) that up the pressure causing a rise in power...

this is what i understand. so would i benefit from the added compression/timing with the use of race fuel to keep from detonating. or is it something that maybe i should put off til a later date if at all? also read some people do it for the smell too :rotflmao:

I hesitate to say this because I'm not encouraging you to do it but to answer your question, yes increasing compression ratio alone will produce some power thus dictating the use of race fuel to combat detonation but I dont feel that it is worth it at all. After porting and a welded crank, yes its worth it if you dont care about the price of race fuel.

yes you will see a power rise from raising the pressure of your cylinders (lowering the dome size). this will also force you to run race fuel as crusty said. but like he also warned.....you should do a few things to help keep your bike together. like gettin the crank welded to keep it from seperating from added power. but its not the race fuel that makes it run stronger....its raised compression.

I hesitate to say this because I'm not encouraging you to do it but to answer your question, yes increasing compression ratio alone will produce some power thus dictating the use of race fuel to combat detonation but I dont feel that it is worth it at all. After porting and a welded crank, yes its worth it if you dont care about the price of race fuel.

alright. i guess ill wait on adding some compression until i can get it ported and other stuff. i dont have a clue what size domes to use at all though, ive read anywhere as low as a 19cc dome can be used with 93 and also read that 21 is as low as you can go which causes some confusion. might just have to go with 21 and play it safe? would a timing mod still be okay to run with 93?

in michigan here yes. the best thing to do is to get your porting done through a site sponsor like FAST.....Jeff will take damn good care of you and he can help you when it comes to choosing a dome size for what octane gas to run. alot of it has to do with elevation which is why you will see some people runnin 93 octane with 19 cc domes (theyr'e usually way the hell up in the mountains) or people runnin 21cc domes here in michigan on race gas or a race/pump gas mix.

in michigan here yes. the best thing to do is to get your porting done through a site sponsor like FAST.....Jeff will take damn good care of you and he can help you when it comes to choosing a dome size for what octane gas to run. alot of it has to do with elevation which is why you will see some people runnin 93 octane with 19 cc domes (theyr'e usually way the hell up in the mountains) or people runnin 21cc domes here in michigan on race gas or a race/pump gas mix.

are there any site sponsors here in michigan that i could drop the cylinders off to have them ported? part of why i want to wait is i have no clue how to ship. and also part of why i was wondering if i could do it myself. id probably still run the 93 though with a port job.

you just gotta contact a site sponsor from the forum here (there's a list on the forum with their numbers and contact info) and after you talk to a few of them and figure out what sponsor you want to go with you just diassemble your top end and you shi them just the cylinders (unless you and the bulider talked about sending more of your motor for different work) its literally as easy as taking your cylinders and putting them into a carboard box (packed well in foam or something to keep them from being broken) and sending them to the sponsors address and they will take care of you.