Buffing/polishing equipment

Josh Z

Getting in to real polishing huh? Get ready to walk outta the garage looking like a coal minor. Any wayit would problably almost be a waste to buy used polishing equipment. First you gotta know that the life on polishing equipment is usually short lived for guys who polish alot. So for anything other then your motor and base, it is almost more practical to just hunt down a place with all the expendables for cheap. There are a ton of places with polishing wheels and compounds on clearance almost all the time. For instance, Lowes is switching one of their vendors, meaning they have to liquidate all their old product to update their inventory system. For me and you that means $1.00 compound sticks (aggressive to ultra fine) , $2.00 wheels, $0.50 wheel chucks, etc. I have gone to sears lately and they have a three pack of compound on sale as well. It is always on sale for like $10.00 come to think of it. The bonus is that it is three brick style compound. Emery cake for that tough stuff, white tripoli for medium duty, and a red rouge to make any one finish like a pro. Just be careful with that emery cake it is ultra aggressive and will really eat metal. I have seen quite a few dudes just get lazy on the polishing and try to short cut on lighter work and get way to aggressive with it and make pipes look like they were cast aluminum textured. Jmo man, good luck and put up some pix of your work.