tons of play in my shifter

banshee#44

so today i played with my carbs and got my bike to run badass and i decided to take it down the street. and i noticed it was really hard to shift from second to third.i rode it back home and now i cant get it in to neutral, and my shifter has tons of play in it. so what do you guys think happened.

I'll bet $100 that the eccentric screw broke off. it very common. I fixed 4 this year alone. heres a link of what the part is.

http://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=761&cat=220&page=1

so im still going to have to split the cases then? or is there some other way to check and see if its broken?

Nope, its an easy fix. Pull clutch cover, clutch basket, shifter shaft. ect.. You'll probably need to drill and easy out it. but in my experience they come out easy.

alright sounds good , ill pull it apart tomarrow and see what i can do

Let me know how you make out. The hardest part is usually getting the broke eccentric screw out. good luck. Reverse drill bits make it easy.

The spring that rides on the eccentric also gets worn over time, and can wear grooves into the eccentric. If it isn't broke off, I'd bet the two parts are heavily worn. Another part that commonly wears out is the light tension spring that keeps the hooks on the shift shaft centered on the shift star. That little spring gets too loose and the shift shaft doesn't stay aligned correctly on the shift star. You can buy a brand new shift shaft, eccentric, eccentric lock nut, eccentric lock washer, and the heavy spring that returns the shifter to its home position all through www.cascadeinnovations.net or any builder. Kevin at Herr Jugs can get you all the parts you need once you tear it apart and see whats broke and needs replaced.

- Jared