coolant leaking from bottom of motor

Banshee872

hi, i just rebuilt my 87 banshee and now that i got it all back together ther is some coolant leaking outa 2 nuts on the bottom of the motor..right next to the hole that goes through the mid of the motor. what did i do wrong with the rebuild, or what could have gone wrong to cause this? im about to pull the motor and look it over but i wanted to get some info from u guys first. it doesnt seem to want to run right ither, so im guessing that its leaking in the jugs somewere and following the bolt down through the motor ??? and possibly geting coolant into the cylinders??? i didnt have this problem befor i took it apart ( took jugs and top part off for cleaning and painting, used high temp grill paint..) ANY INFO WOULD GREATLY BE APPRICIATED

humm.. ok ill try looking at that. im goin out to the garage in about 15 min and ill check out what u said.. ill repost what i find TY for yer fast response !!!! TYTY

another quick question befor i go out ther .. the motor should idle with out an air filter correct? the one that was on it was shot and very dirty..so i orderd an new one but when i try to run my banshee it wont start up without using a towle or something covering most the intake in the airbox...and im not gunna drive it w/o the filter just trying to get it tuned and running.. did a carb clean and most the adjustments got changed.

Edited by Banshee872

humm.. ok ill try looking at that. im goin out to the garage in about 15 min and ill check out what u said.. ill repost what i find TY for yer fast response !!!! TYTY

another quick question befor i go out ther .. the motor should idle with out an air filter correct? the one that was on it was shot and very dirty..so i orderd an new one but when i try to run my banshee it wont start up without using a towle or something covering most the intake in the airbox...and im not gunna drive it w/o the filter just trying to get it tuned and running.. did a carb clean and most the adjustments got changed.

air screw should be 1 1/2 turns out and yes a filter being missing will cause it to run lean on idle.

did you make sure to keep the sealing surface on the bottom of the cyls clean? did you put the rubber plugs back in the bottom, too? use new gaskets, of coarse? coolant leaks go down, so start high, and work down. stuff a paper towel, or napkin behind the coolant hose coming of the back of the head between the reeds and see if it wicks some coolant, and try the same at the back of the clutch cover. that o-ring will make it leak in the trans, i believe, not externally. old hoses, however tend to leak when you r&r them. swap your float bowls from right to left and see if the choke works then. make sure the choke tube is installed, first. now, is this after running it a few heat cycles, or just right away after the rebuild?