Starting problems

sootman73

I rebuilt and cleaned my carbs, repacked silencers, and tuned the carbs. But now i have another problem. Yesterday i went to start it to ride over to my gf's house and nothing. wouldn't even hiccup. Its getting fuel, possibly too much, but its getting there. It has spark because i pulled both spark plugs (brand new plugs) and layed them on the pipes and kicked it. spark in both plugs. Why wont it start? the only thing i can think of now is compression.....?

Today i had a buddy come over and pull start it. took nearly half a mile of it spinning to get it running. It would fire but die, fire and die. so we kept pulling it until it would stay running on its own. had plenty of power after that and i rode it for about 10 minutes after it warmed up. Didn't have a chance to see if it would fire again after i was done but i'm gonna try it when i get off work tonight.

does a compression issue sound viable? i'm gonna try to run a check on it tonight and see what it actually is. i'm guessing take both plugs out, put the tester on the one, kick it over a few times to get the highest reading, and then be done?

thanks guys!

yep its on there. made sure of everything. but i'm gonna do a comp test on it tonight hopefully and post the results here. anything else i should check? I'm also going to check over all the boot clamps just to make sure they are nice and tight so i'm not sucking air anywhere.

Would it have anything to do about the reeds? I have no history on them. as far as i know they could be the original or they could be upgrades. No idea. It seems to run fine when it does run though. maybe a little lean but it was cold out this morning....

No the first start after carb work was iummediate. First kick and it was purring. this is two days later. i had a hard time starting it after a couple hours the night we were riding. but it choked and the guy got it started. i did forget to turn the fuel off though but everytime i turned the fuel off before it wouldn't start. if i let it leak(not that much after a night) it would fire up first kick. I didn't try starting it tonight again though cuz the guy helping me(used to race a banshee) wants to see the spark plugs in the morning. the left side is a bit lighter than the right side. comp test in the morning also.

Okay did the Comp test this morning:

left cylinder - 109psi

right cylinder - 104 psi

seems kinda low but i might be able to get by for the rest of the year? And the left side is running a little leaner than the right side but i think it may be too lean overall but not by much. the guy helping me said he'd like to see a little darker plugs than what they are.....