What is detonation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Detonation" is the thing that keeps any motor with Trinity's fingerprints on it from being able to run right or even keep the O-rings in place. :angry::bolt:

91 octane for that setup doesnt sound right. When I had my motor done by HJR he sent me 20cc cut domes to run 110. Then I called him to figure out what size domes to go with for 93 octane. He sent me the 23cc domes and said it was going to be real close.

Yeah I didn't really think so either but yanks what the guy told him.Where do you live or what's the elevation difference between where you are and Michigan.

So everything was new ? "Shop" did all work? Can you do squish before bud tears it down? Who cut the domes? Very good possibility that dome angle didn't match piston angle. Has he talked to the builder yet? Was the jetting recomended or approved by builder? If possible post pics of both pistons and both domes.

Yes everything was new that was put in it by the shop... 2 new virgin cylinders that got dune ported and cases matched, new 4mil long rod hot rods cranks with an extra weld, new v-force3 reeds,new pistons, new clutch plates basket and all, he had the max load bearing put on it ect. All work on the motor was done by the builder. As for the domes I'm not 100percent on weather they were cut or they were blaster domes but on the side of them they are etched 22+2 whatever that means. The builder told him to run a 340 main with a 27.5 pilot. After he talked to another local guy he ended up running a 40 pilot instead of the 27.5 to be on the safe side. I can't check the squish cause he already tore it down. He has talked to the builder but from what I hear nothing much has come of it. So far he has ripped off the head and said that there is a huge piece of the piston missing and what looks like mangled ring all over the piston. So obviously the piston is destroyed the dome is destroyed and he said that the cylinder has a huge gouge from the exhaust port up. So he will probably have to have both of those bored. And that's only on the top end. After he took the head off and seen all that he said screw it called the builder and said he is shipping it back to him. Do you guys think this sounds like something the builder should be accountable for?

Sounds like either the port wasn't champhered correctly or the top of exhaust port was to flat/straight causing ring to snag. Hope the builder stands behind it. If they don't , be sure to post , I wouldn't want to do business with them. hope it's no one I know , banghead

I can almost guaranty it is. I really didn't want to say anything but I'm sure he'll stand by it but it's actually F.A.S.T. I've personally never done anything with him but always have heard absolute great things about him and am actually getting ready to send my motor to him for a 4mil setup depending on what all happens with this.

good luck is all i can say,most builders no matter what will point the finger at you and say you done something wrong but hopefully im wrong and he makes it right with ya...and yes if it all was new and he put the motor completly together then it was something he done wrong and needs to make it right!...

Thats just not true ,there are many variables .Did you put the carbs on?Did you do a compression test after she was together?I have put together motors with 22cc domes that kick 180 due to milling error or something but I knew before I started it.22+2 means 22ccs +2mm cut out for piston travel and should be fine on 93 pump but start lowering octane especially gas at a station with who knows what octane your getting ,a lil timing and boom.If he said 93 i would have stuck with it.Jeffs a good guy and very anal too im sure if its his problem he will fix it

Jeff is the man when it come to banshees and excellent customer service. So if he thinks it was from something he did wrong or overlooked, I know he will make it right.

All things considered, I find it very hard to believe that its from something Jeff did or didn't do. <_< But...we are all human and we all make mistakes from time to time.

Thats just not true ,there are many variables .Did you put the carbs on?Did you do a compression test after she was together?I have put together motors with 22cc domes that kick 180 due to milling error or something but I knew before I started it.22+2 means 22ccs +2mm cut out for piston travel and should be fine on 93 pump but start lowering octane especially gas at a station with who knows what octane your getting ,a lil timing and boom.If he said 93 i would have stuck with it.Jeffs a good guy and very anal too im sure if its his problem he will fix it

Yeah I took and posted some pics. They are in the photobucket link in my sig. Tell me what you guys think.

Jeff is the man when it come to banshees and excellent customer service. So if he thinks it was from something he did wrong or overlooked, I know he will make it right.

All things considered, I find it very hard to believe that its from something Jeff did or didn't do. <_< But...we are all human and we all make mistakes from time to time.

Yeah definitely not saying it's his fault. I don't have much experience with blown up motors do I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I just can't see what it could be besides a snagged ring. Take a look at the pics and let me know.

i almost gaurantee it's lean condition. on an ideal burn scenario, the burn completes while the exhaust is open, and is contained within a surface boundary. on a lean condition, the burn comlpetes prematurely, leaving only heat, and the boundary layer will break down and allow the heat to transfer. basically, an escilating effect that builds the surface temperatures, not only hot enough to ignite the a/f mix, but subsequently, absorb more heat when that happens, melting the aluminum. just to be clear- detonation is an uncontrolled and random explosion/ignition, caused by a great number of things, primarily, premature ignition, through heat/compression or sparking too soon, incomplete fuel mix at time of igntioin, which creates hot/cool pockets, etc. basically, too much timing, too unstable fuel mix, or too lean. pre-ignition is a differnt thing than detonation. it is simply ignition that happens before spark. however, detonation usually follows pre-ignition..... if you ever hear "pre-detonation", that is a very common made-up word, and is completely fictitious. spark scatter could also be a culprit, but not a common one on banshee's. check the plug caps/wires first. check any signs of insulator failure (even though it may be hard to tell from the damage) i have seen it verry often on champoin, and some bosh/autolite's....also, look to see if the inside insulator is glazed. (smoked brown-gold with wet appearance) next, check the flywheel true(both node gaps on pick-up) this is all supplimental, of coarse, to the abouve carb/air leak advise. if you run a good oil, then it should creep out of any leak, except mabey the top.

Yeah I took and posted some pics. They are in the photobucket link in my sig. Tell me what you guys think.

man, could you take some tinier pics for me? without seeing more detail, i would have to say it most definately looks like a lean burn-down. you can see the typical melt-out through the exhaust. that ring "snag" is it breaking off because the ring land was blown out. a closer pic could show if it was actually melted, or spark related, which can also suck a ring land....