Starting issues, Please help!

mk2dubbin

sorry, i missed two posts earlier. didn't mean to ignore you.

i will check for the choke tube tonight. i believe it was there, but it's definitely worth a look.

i currently have the air box off because i put a new cable on for the thumb throttle and visually the carb slides lift equally and bottom out nicely. should be good enough to idle on until i can balance them up again...

i got the harness all fixed up last night and everything put back together. i moved on to the stator and i could get a .035 feeler gauge snugly in the gap so i believe that is probably my issue. unfortunately the bolts for the pick up are rusted and corroded fast so i am going to drill the heads off tonight and see if i can get the studs out. if not, i guess ill buy a new stator and an adjustable timing plate while i am in there.

• 2 weeks later...

i put a billet timing plate in now with all new bolts. i cleaned up the magnet on the pick-up and cleaned the tabs on the flywheel. i have spark but we still think it seems a little weak. both sets of plugs will spark now, though the brand new plugs wouldn't spark previously. i have fuel and spark and still no start. i am pretty burned out now and don't want to start throwing parts at it.

it seems like it should be the coil at this point, but i just don't know. i think it's time to call the atv shop and get them to look at it.

i put a billet timing plate in now with all new bolts. i cleaned up the magnet on the pick-up and cleaned the tabs on the flywheel. i have spark but we still think it seems a little weak. both sets of plugs will spark now, though the brand new plugs wouldn't spark previously. i have fuel and spark and still no start. i am pretty burned out now and don't want to start throwing parts at it.

it seems like it should be the coil at this point, but i just don't know. i think it's time to call the atv shop and get them to look at it.

before you take it to a shop spray some startin fluid in the carbs while you hold the throttle open and see if it tries to hit if it does try to start then you have carb probs!..if that dont work try and borrow a stator from a buddy and cdi and just because they ohmed good dont mean they are!..trust me i know...

i loaded it up on the trailer and took it to my buddies house so we could swap parts if need be. i drive the hour or so down there, and i thought we would start by comparing spark. i kicked it once and it tried to fire. pulled the choke out and two more kicks and it fired right up on one cylinder while he was watching the spark on the other wire. we didnt change anything. so i honestly have no idea what the issue was, but at least it runs now! :confused: