Performance Slow Down

vizmark

Hello everyone. First post, but long time reader.

I bought my wife's 2000 Banshee in 2003. It was a beautiful completely stock low hour quad. In 2003 I added FMF pipes, Turbine Core II silencers, K&N filter in stock box (w/o lid) and jetted it per FMF instructions. The quad ran great.

Here we are seven years later and the top end performance isn't what it used to be. It doesn't feel like it has much of a power band anymore. As a note, the motor/tranny/clutch have NEVER been apart. The oil have always been changed with Castrols syntec 5w/50. Fuel mixed with 91 pump and Golden Spectro 50/1. I use B8ES NGK plugs. The plugs over the last couple of years are getting more oil on them. I thought the motor was getting tired so I did a compression test and was surprised to find it was 120# in both cylinders. So maybe not as tired as I thought.

The brakes aren't dragging, air filter is clean, doesn't lose oil, and the carb clamps are tight.

Any ideas of what to check for?

the comp. reading may have been off, because that is what a new banshee would read. i'd do a topend rebuild, pistons, rings, needlebearings, gaskets, etc. i'd also repack the silencers and put a new clutch in it. a slipping clutch, a worn top end, and misc. other things can really add up, it just takes a while to make a big difference. i'd also do the topend as perventetive maintnance, not just for the power gain. :headbang:

the comp. reading may have been off, because that is what a new banshee would read. i'd do a topend rebuild, pistons, rings, needlebearings, gaskets, etc. i'd also repack the silencers and put a new clutch in it. a slipping clutch, a worn top end, and misc. other things can really add up, it just takes a while to make a big difference. i'd also do the topend as perventetive maintnance, not just for the power gain. :headbang:

There is no need to rebuild a perfectly good top end......

In my opinion it sounds like you might have a fuel issue. Have the carbs ever been apart for a cleaning after the jetting? How do your reeds look? (assuming you have stock they are probably cracked or warped)

SYZ

[in my opinion it sounds like you might have a fuel issue. Have the carbs ever been apart for a cleaning after the jetting? How do your reeds look? (assuming you have stock they are probably cracked or warped)

Since jetting it in 03 I have not had the carbs off nor have I checked the reeds. I will check that next. I did remove the exhaust and through the ports I can see that the cylinders have a glossly look to them, but I can still see some cross-hatching (wording ?). When I checked the compression the motor was cold and not warm. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.