Looking to paint my T-5s with some Hi-Temp!

2001blackshee

I got chrome t-5's but im debaiting to sand em down and paint them with a flat black hi temp paint!!! ive done it with a few other pipes... But nothinng with chrome plating!! I plan on sanding the pipes with 400 grit and sanding in the direction of the exhaust flow.. cleaning them with wit acetone.. and throwing down some paint!!! If anyone has painted the chrome pipes before let me know you process and how it turned out.... I got a buncha polished billet aluminum covers.. I think with my bike being black it would look badass!! give me the opinions come on!!! :headbang:

I got chrome t-5's but im debaiting to sand em down and paint them with a flat black hi temp paint!!! ive done it with a few other pipes... But nothinng with chrome plating!! I plan on sanding the pipes with 400 grit and sanding in the direction of the exhaust flow.. cleaning them with wit acetone.. and throwing down some paint!!! If anyone has painted the chrome pipes before let me know you process and how it turned out.... I got a buncha polished billet aluminum covers.. I think with my bike being black it would look badass!! give me the opinions come on!!! :headbang:

I did it with a pair of pro circuits cause I've got an all black bike with white plastics and chrom nerf bars. Anyway I recommend it and I didn't even sand and it turned out good so you should be all set.

If you don't sand or glass bead the chrome off, the paint will never stay on. Nothing really sticks to chrome very well. I used a scotch brite pad on a Blaster FMF pipe then painted and within a few rides the paint came off . I used the VHT high heat header paint which we use on car manifolds with great success. When we put chrome valve covers on a car engine, we glass bead the area where the gasket sits otherwise no sealer sticks and they always leak.

If you don't sand or glass bead the chrome off, the paint will never stay on. Nothing really sticks to chrome very well. I used a scotch brite pad on a Blaster FMF pipe then painted and within a few rides the paint came off . I used the VHT high heat header paint which we use on car manifolds with great success. When we put chrome valve covers on a car engine, we glass bead the area where the gasket sits otherwise no sealer sticks and they always leak.

Yea i plan on using 1000 or 2000 degree hi temp.. I do plan on sanding 800phelps recommended 320 grit ...he seemed very knowledgable.about the process.... I jus need to pic up some paint and try it out!! I will be postin up pics !!! thanx

Just my opinion but I think the chrome exhaust looks nice. I just got a shee and the T5 headers are black, F****** hate em.

hahaha I painted mine.. I got alot of chrome on my bike.. Im not into the bling look.. I painted mine yesterday... i love em... Cant wait to see them on the bike.. :headbang: