dynatek ignition

ralphn3

well, if you have a setup that will mainly benefit from a tuned timing set in one range, like mid, top, or lowend, than by all means, the plate is the best option. however, if you are trying to fine tune the entire range, then the dyna provides modified curves that advance/retard in a different profile than stock, right out of the box. they also provide stronger spark through a stock coil. you can further tune the profile with software for $100, or through someone willing to do it for you. the average joe ridding dune, woods, mx, and also most drag scene will have a confined range use, and full range curve adjustment will be fine with a plate that is set to work best in the main range. i like mine because i can fine tune as much advance as i want right off the bottom by also using a plate, and retard at my desired curve to run best tuned at any rpm. another thing about using the plate, is easier starting. even though the enhanced spark helps there, too, the dyna will not advance until it is actually already running. the plate on the other hand, will be advanced from the first kick. it basically all comes down to whether or not you want to shell out that much for the little bit of fine tuning which is a small gain more than the big jump you gain from advancing period. there is also different models of the dyna adjustable, and the $300+ model is the programmable one, which also accommodates pv's "launch" electronic pj's, tach out, and all around versatility that most people will not use anyways.

well, if you have a setup that will mainly benefit from a tuned timing set in one range, like mid, top, or lowend, than by all means, the plate is the best option. however, if you are trying to fine tune the entire range, then the dyna provides modified curves that advance/retard in a different profile than stock, right out of the box. they also provide stronger spark through a stock coil. you can further tune the profile with software for $100, or through someone willing to do it for you. the average joe ridding dune, woods, mx, and also most drag scene will have a confined range use, and full range curve adjustment will be fine with a plate that is set to work best in the main range. i like mine because i can fine tune as much advance as i want right off the bottom by also using a plate, and retard at my desired curve to run best tuned at any rpm. another thing about using the plate, is easier starting. even though the enhanced spark helps there, too, the dyna will not advance until it is actually already running. the plate on the other hand, will be advanced from the first kick. it basically all comes down to whether or not you want to shell out that much for the little bit of fine tuning which is a small gain more than the big jump you gain from advancing period. there is also different models of the dyna adjustable, and the $300+ model is the programmable one, which also accommodates pv's "launch" electronic pj's, tach out, and all around versatility that most people will not use anyways.

I don't think you have to pay the xtra $100 any more. The software is on their website and you can get a usb/serial adaptor at Radio Shack.

I'm unclear about what you mean when you say the Dyna won't advance the timing until it starts and how the plate makes it easier to start than the dyna?

The dyna can be advanced to whatever you want at start up (at least the software lets you belive that is the case). Even the pre-programmed settings add some timing at initial start up I think.

Also; stock timing makes a bike easiest to start. When you add timing you get the tendency for it to kick back. JMO.

I don't think you have to pay the xtra $100 any more. The software is on their website and you can get a usb/serial adaptor at Radio Shack.

I'm unclear about what you mean when you say the Dyna won't advance the timing until it starts and how the plate makes it easier to start than the dyna?

The dyna can be advanced to whatever you want at start up (at least the software lets you belive that is the case). Even the pre-programmed settings add some timing at initial start up I think.

Also; stock timing makes a bike easiest to start. When you add timing you get the tendency for it to kick back. JMO.

i ran +5.5 on the plate, and 0 on the plate with the dyna installed.....there is a noticable difference. the plate was harder, with kick-back, but the engine itself did fire better. ..i'll have to check into that cable...

i ran +5.5 on the plate, and 0 on the plate with the dyna installed.....there is a noticable difference. the plate was harder, with kick-back, but the engine itself did fire better. ..i'll have to check into that cable...

I run one, and I can feel a difference between running it on an advnced stock curve, and running it on a custom curve I made.