COMPRESSION QUESTION

stacman450

got a 96 banshee... pretty damn old. bone stock .. never been rebuilt.. checked compression last night and both cylinders had 110 psi in them.. is this pretty good for its age. what is stock comp? just checking thinking i may have to do a winter rebuild.. thanks in advance.. :cheers:

got a 96 banshee... pretty damn old. bone stock .. never been rebuilt.. checked compression last night and both cylinders had 110 psi in them.. is this pretty good for its age. what is stock comp? just checking thinking i may have to do a winter rebuild.. thanks in advance.. beer.gif

No not to bad for a 96,i think stock comp is 118 or 120 some where around there,might get away with just a hone,but have a tech check it out and make sure that the cylinders are not miss shapped for being that old,might not be stock bore either,so have them checked out,hope this helps

hell it runs great for a stock ass bike.. i was told stock was 120. very low anyway.. and it is on stock bore.. not a bolt turned except for the usual maintnence... keep the opinions coming seems to me alot of people been told one way on compression and another way somewher else.. thanks

Two questions for you. Whats your elevation and what kind of compression tester are you using?

A buddy and I decided to compare compression testers on his bike. I have a craftsman and he had a auto parts store tester. There was about a 20 psi difference between the two (my craftsman reading higher then his).

Also, your elevation will change your compression numbers. Its works out to about a 6psi difference per 1000' above sea level.

Two questions for you. Whats your elevation and what kind of compression tester are you using?

A buddy and I decided to compare compression testers on his bike. I have a craftsman and he had a auto parts store tester. There was about a 20 psi difference between the two (my craftsman reading higher then his).

Also, your elevation will change your compression numbers. Its works out to about a 6psi difference per 1000' above sea level.

Well said...beat me to it.

Cranking compression can drop 8 to 12 PSI roughly every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level.

o yeah im not going to touch it.. thanks a million for the info,, really helped.. its starts great 1st or 2nd kick warm or cold...

one last questin.. the pistons had some blow by on them.. to be expected for a 14 yo bike,, but i rode it the other day and when i was up the mountain it richend up.. looked at pistons after ride.. no more blow by.. good thing or bad.. never seen that before... :confused:

Ok...well, with that being said...

When you richen up the jetting, you're putting more gas/oil in the cylinder.

An old school trick to check ring wear is to do a compression test on a motor and then add a few drops of oil to each cylinder, and check it again.

What the oil does is help worn rings seal better. (Obviously, once the motor fires and runs for a few it'll burn that extra oil off)

So...based on what you said about the blow by, it is probably either time for a set of rings and a hone or a bore and new pistons/rings.

Here's my honest opinion, if it has blow by...and it's 14 years old, bore them fresh and put a new top end on.

At 14 years old, it doesn't owe you anything. Even if the rings are sticking to the pistons a little due to carbon/wear, etc.

You have to take the top end off to clean, measure and check things.

At that point...why not freshen it up?

Ok...well, with that being said...

When you richen up the jetting, you're putting more gas/oil in the cylinder.

An old school trick to check ring wear is to do a compression test on a motor and then add a few drops of oil to each cylinder, and check it again.

What the oil does is help worn rings seal better. (Obviously, once the motor fires and runs for a few it'll burn that extra oil off)

So...based on what you said about the blow by, it is probably either time for a set of rings and a hone or a bore and new pistons/rings.

Here's my honest opinion, if it has blow by...and it's 14 years old, bore them fresh and put a new top end on.

At 14 years old, it doesn't owe you anything. Even if the rings are sticking to the pistons a little due to carbon/wear, etc.

You have to take the top end off to clean, measure and check things.

At that point...why not freshen it up?

Excellent time to get it ported as well. I think everyone would agree you won't be disappointed with porting.

o yeah ive had porting before.. love it.. also have had 421 cub. had to go to school so sold them.. now 4 years later im back in it.. but prob what ill do is ride it till it starts slowing down and all, then do rebuild... send me a pm who does best porting for trails and an occaisonal drag with 4 poke... i like what i hear about kevin at Herr Jugs... thanks a ton for the info..