PVL ignition timing on a 4mill cub

Craig Walker

I'm trying to set my timing to 10 deg before TDC on a 4mill 421cub. Now correct me if i'm wrong by checking on a degree wheel I rotated it 10deg to find about .20 give or take on the dial indicator. Is this number usual for you guys that are running a PVL on a 4mill. Reason why i'm asking is that it seems that the piston is to low to be firing the sparkplug. That and the last motor that I ran a PVL on it was about .10 on a stock length crank. I know whinning over .10.

ok did some more rotations and found 20deg of timing advance is .80, 15deg is .40 10deg is .20, 5deg is .10.

That sounds about right. There is a formula that uses stroke and rod length that can convert from mm to degrees if you need it. But since you're actually using the degree wheel, you wouldn't need to work the formula.

Heres a degrees BTDC vs equivelent measurement of piston BTDC in mm. The 16.7 degrees represents +5.7 degrees. Just decuct 11 from the numbers on the left and look over to the left for mm BTDC in mm for + whatever over stock timing with stock ign. box. This is based on stock ignition being 11 deg. BTDC@9500rpm with 58mm stroke...its very close and is suitable for PVL set-up...Jim

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/passionre/4millpvlc.png