Gasket spray and lock tight

Hi all wanted to know if i should use copper gasket spray on my top end gaskets like the base gaskets ? and wanted to know if i should use lock tight on my cylinder head studs to go back in the cylinders i removed them when i got the cylinders bored ? and now im starting to put it back togher and need some info to help me... thanks

Hi all wanted to know if i should use copper gasket spray on my top end gaskets like the base gaskets ? and wanted to know if i should use lock tight on my cylinder head studs to go back in the cylinders i removed them when i got the cylinders bored ? and now im starting to put it back togher and need some info to help me... thanks

If you are using factory Yamaha gaskets put them on dry, if you are using another brand then I don't know as I only use Yamaha gaskets on my quads. As for loctite, do not use it on the head nuts because you will need to retorque the head after it has gone through a heat cycle, retorque it a couple of times. I usually retorque mine until it quites moving when I do it. Everywhere else on the bike I use red or blue Loctite,depending on the location and size of the fastener. I use loctite everywhere because I ride in the sand and if there is Loctie in the threads it prevents corrosion from getting in and actually makes it easier to take aprt than if there was no Loctite in there. I don't know about the Clymer's manual, but if you had a genuine Yamaha service manual it will show you where you need to use Loctite along with what grease to use and where to route your cables, wire harness, and hoses, along with a torque spec for just about every nut ,bolt and screw on the bike.

ok the gaskets are k&s technologies incorporated .. and it says direct oem replacements made with japanese materials ... the guy who bord my cylinders said to use a gasket spray on the base gaskest . and i what more info before i do that ... and the lock tight is not for the nuts its for the cylinder head studs when i put them back in the cylindres... i want to know if i should lock thight the studs.......

i use copper spray on every head gasket i put on. I also lapp the top of the cyls and head as well so they are perfectly flat. You shouldnt need loctite on any of the cyl studs or head nuts. On the head i use some 1104,1211, or yamabond on the threads to keep any leaks from creeping up the threads. especially important on cub cyls since the head studs thread into the water jacket.

ok thanks so the head gasket use spray . what about the base gaskets ????? and will it be a bitch to get off the next time i remove the top end..... and i have a new Q i have toomey t5 pipes and they both have a small hole in them . they are about 1"-2" buy the cylinders now i dont know if thats the way they are made or some one before me drilled them and it looked like something was covering them up ... dont know let me know if u have seen this on the pipes... thanks

ok thanks so the head gasket use spray . what about the base gaskets ????? and will it be a bitch to get off the next time i remove the top end..... and i have a new Q i have toomey t5 pipes and they both have a small hole in them . they are about 1"-2" buy the cylinders now i dont know if thats the way they are made or some one before me drilled them and it looked like something was covering them up ... dont know let me know if u have seen this on the pipes... thanks

maybe they had exhaust temp sensors in them?

Ok thanks. Not sure about the pipes I'm thinking of trying to pop rivet the holes and hope that covers up the hole. But I'm wanting to put the cylinders on my motor tomorrow and still need to know if its a good tip to use copper gasket spray on the base gaskets or not ???????? And wanted to know if its hard to remove. Please let me know if a lot of u guys spray the base gaskets. And head gaskets. Let me know. Thanks.

Ok thanks. Not sure about the pipes I'm thinking of trying to pop rivet the holes and hope that covers up the hole. But I'm wanting to put the cylinders on my motor tomorrow and still need to know if its a good tip to use copper gasket spray on the base gaskets or not ???????? And wanted to know if its hard to remove. Please let me know if a lot of u guys spray the base gaskets. And head gaskets. Let me know. Thanks.

I spray my base gaskets with copper coat, not the head gasket, and yes it does come apart a little harder but they don't leak or blow out

maybe a radiator shop could silversolder a small patch on for you?

Edited by toytech