breaking in

hey guys another quick question whats the best way to break in a new top end is there a good method?

use the exact premix and ratio you are gooing to be running. do 2 or 3 full heat cycles and retorque the head (a few will be loose) then, a few plug chop runs, including getting it warmmed up first to full operating temp. then, just ride it like you stole it and it will be broke in with the best ring seat you can get, and jetted right

use the exact premix and ratio you are gooing to be running. do 2 or 3 full heat cycles and retorque the head (a few will be loose) then, a few plug chop runs, including getting it warmmed up first to full operating temp. then, just ride it like you stole it and it will be broke in with the best ring seat you can get, and jetted right

ok lol im cofused dude what do u mean by heat cycles/and retourque the head and plug chops??

ok lol im cofused dude what do u mean by heat cycles/and retourque the head and plug chops??

heat cycles is where you start it up and let it run with the rad. cap off, and blipping the throttle once in a while untill it reaches operating temp. then, let it cool copletely untill everything is cold to the touch. i couldn't find the link to the plug chop info, but basically what you do- get it up to operating temp. if it's running decent and revs out clean, then find a strait stretch and change plugs out with brand new ones real quick. start it up and immediately pin it and keep it pinned through all the gears. then pull the clutch and kill the motor at the same time and coast to a stop that way. pull the plugs out and put the old ones back in and ride back to read them. cut the treads off and read the porcelin. there should be a 2mm solid chocolate ring all the way around near the bottom. more than 2mm=rich less than 2mm, or light in color= lean. also look at the plug for specs of aluminum, which would be from lean/deto.

heat cycles is where you start it up and let it run with the rad. cap off, and blipping the throttle once in a while untill it reaches operating temp. then, let it cool copletely untill everything is cold to the touch. i couldn't find the link to the plug chop info, but basically what you do- get it up to operating temp. if it's running decent and revs out clean, then find a strait stretch and change plugs out with brand new ones real quick. start it up and immediately pin it and keep it pinned through all the gears. then pull the clutch and kill the motor at the same time and coast to a stop that way. pull the plugs out and put the old ones back in and ride back to read them. cut the treads off and read the porcelin. there should be a 2mm solid chocolate ring all the way around near the bottom. more than 2mm=rich less than 2mm, or light in color= lean. also look at the plug for specs of aluminum, which would be from lean/deto.

wow that seems a bit much to do just to break in an engineis that really the only way man ?

wow that seems a bit much to do just to break in an engineis that really the only way man ?

thats a good way to break it in.

but usually i do 3 heat cycles. MAKE SURE YOU RE TORQUE the bolts!

then do three 15 minute riding sessions one at 1/4 throttle. second at 1/2 throttle then full throttle

all in between riding sessions let the bike cool completley

thats a good way to break it in.

but usually i do 3 heat cycles. MAKE SURE YOU RE TORQUE the bolts!

then do three 15 minute riding sessions one at 1/4 throttle. second at 1/2 throttle then full throttle

all in between riding sessions let the bike cool completley

hey thanks dude that seems a little easier so the 3rd ride i can rip on it?and with the heat cycles do u really have to have the rad cap off if so why does that need to be done??

hey thanks dude that seems a little easier so the 3rd ride i can rip on it?and with the heat cycles do u really have to have the rad cap off if so why does that need to be done??

well, the reason i said to do the plug chops is to make sure your jetting is spot. if you are confident in your jetting, then it's not necisarry, just ride it hard as shit from the get-go, untill you feel the rings seat, which you should notice a little bump in power/throttle response when they do. just remember if you are lean, you can melt a piston, or lock it up, and you still have to take it easy to get it warmed up to operating temp before you rip on it hard. the reason for leaving the cap off is because the head gasket, or o-rings will loosen up as the engine is cooling off, and if the coolant is pressurized, it's most likely to form the leak then.