Need a "Half Link" Anyone know where I can get one?

muggzy

Hey People,

I recently put a new Marshall O-ring chain and new sprockets on my Banshee. The stock length (104 link) chain left me with the chain adjusters screwed most of the way in. After a little riding and some normal new-chain stretch, I had to screw the adjuster screws all the way down and the chain was still a little loose. Today, I finally got around to shortening the chain a link but when I tried to put it back on, the chain won't reach. The carrier is ALL the way forward but I still need a half a link to get the master link on. banghead I've heard of offset links that give you a "half link" but can't find any for O-ring chains. Any suggestions?

there is no such thing as a half link for a Oring that i know of.

I was just sitting there, staring at the thing for a while with the chain ends one tooth apart on the rear sprocket when it hit me. I can just get a rear sprocket with one less tooth. I got a 41 on there now, I can just pick up a 40 tooth sprocket and problem solved :dance:

And what the hell, One less tooth on the rear will give me back a tiny bit of top end speed.

Edited by muggzy

i take it you have a 13t front? check your swingarm pivot bushings. just grab the rear grab and shove the back of the bike side to side. i bet there" is play there. replacing them will not only take up a bunch of slack, but will keep you from snaping the chain when you adjust it up "right" oh, and dropping 1 tooth in the rear will only make a difference of like 1/2 tooth

I am having the same problem.I tear up chains like a bastard and am done buying o-ring chains cause they're expensive and they aren't going to last no matter what I buy.I run 22" tires but just got a kick ass deal on some 18" so I was going to go to a 39T to get some of my top end back and get some use of all my useless chains.Ordered the 39 and they got the wrong one.Still waiting for them to tell me whats going on on their end but I could keep you posted on my end and maybe we will help each other.

I am having the same problem.I tear up chains like a bastard and am done buying o-ring chains cause they're expensive and they aren't going to last no matter what I buy.I run 22" tires but just got a kick ass deal on some 18" so I was going to go to a 39T to get some of my top end back and get some use of all my useless chains.Ordered the 39 and they got the wrong one.Still waiting for them to tell me whats going on on their end but I could keep you posted on my end and maybe we will help each other.

there are basically 2 things that snap the chain- misadjustment, and worn parts, like swinger bearings and sprockets. swinger can snap a chain just by turning right with enough weight, or going over a bump/hump. i've done it. worn sprockets can stretch the chain excessively. worn hub, can twist on the chain under load. i run 22" tires also, and run a $33 non-oring chain. i think rk? the chain has been beat to shit from failed rollers on the amp link and locked most of the links together, but still mad miles and hours of nasty ass trail/woods/river/hillshooting, and now i just bought another to replace it. just letting you know to check for wear before you put the new chain/sprocket on and possibly snap another. oh, and i also run 13t front, which puts more load on the chain. and forgot- there is a 3rd reason chains break- power, but it takes a shitload of power to start snapping chains for that reason alone

Thank for the input.Swinger bearings are 3 weekend rides old,4 carrier bearings(Lonestar carrier) are about 10 rides old.Switched my 13t back to 14 because 13 makes 1st gear useless.The good used srocket hub I bought off HQ is now fucked in 3 rides just like the one it replaced.I'm going to have to buy a quality hub and just buy $33 chains.Heading to Daraques park(however it's spelled)in 2 weeks so If Motosports don't get my sprocket I will just buy 2 $33 chains and run with it.

Thank for the input.Swinger bearings are 3 weekend rides old,4 carrier bearings(Lonestar carrier) are about 10 rides old.Switched my 13t back to 14 because 13 makes 1st gear useless.The good used srocket hub I bought off HQ is now fucked in 3 rides just like the one it replaced.I'm going to have to buy a quality hub and just buy $33 chains.Heading to Daraques park(however it's spelled)in 2 weeks so If Motosports don't get my sprocket I will just buy 2 $33 chains and run with it.

chain and sprockets should be replaced in sets! if not you can get excessive wear and break chains

i ended up having to replace the whole axle to hold a new sprocket hub good. mine went from a little worn to shot/skipping teeth in about 30-45 min ride. i wouldn't say it's necisary to replace chains and sprockets in sets unless the sprockets are really worn. there is a measureable limit, which is about 1/4 of the tooth.

i run oring chains in sand and they last quite awhile. i would not use a half link because of strength.

on the other hand my chain has barely stretched. i run a name brand chain. i think i spend $78 on sale. cheap shit doesnt pay.