stock spark arrestors

I have a bone stock banshee, can I remove the stock spark arrestors and gain maybe a little performance? Is it safe? My shit runs a little rich anyway. I wanna race my friends stock 700r tomorrow. Any little edge would be nice. I'd like to remove the top of the air cleaner box, but i'm afraid the filter will pop out.

I have a bone stock banshee, can I remove the stock spark arrestors and gain maybe a little performance? Is it safe? My shit runs a little rich anyway. I wanna race my friends stock 700r tomorrow. Any little edge would be nice. I'd like to remove the top of the air cleaner box, but i'm afraid the filter will pop out.

buy pipes and the edge is no longer my friend

I fully intend on buying pipes, but probably not for a couple months. I just wanted something quick and easy to do for tomorrow. The guy at the dealership says he takes his airbox top off and it adds power. Just so you keep your filter oiled and clean it would be fine. But the top kinda holds the filter in place so it seems kinda sketchy.

If you're running with your jets a little rich already, it might be OK but as soon as you start increasing the air flow through the engine, you're leaning things up and I wouldn't want to risk my engine for a few street creds with your friend.