damn water in my oil

i been chasin my tail on this water leak. i put new o ring on the crossover tube and ran it a total of about an hour and a half and my oil is already murky lookin... its very annoying everytime i get my bike fixed and wanna ride it never fails with this water leakin messin my oil up.

You gotta be careful putting those water pump impellar seals on. There's a ring on them, a rubber band type thing, that damages very easily. So will the rubber seal if your not careful. The slow leak you describe can easily be traced back to sloppy installation procedures.

my brother's lt leaks coolant into the tranny, it was a bad base gasket.

The base gasket is the backup seal. If that fixed it, it will be a temporary fix as the real problem is the rubber plug in the bottom side of the cylinder is leaking and letting the water get to the base gasket. But, I don't know how it leaking past the plug and base gasket is letting it get in the tranny, because as far as I know there is no path for it to get there. If it was leaking past the base gasket, it would either run on the ground or into the crankcase and be burned or vaporized during combustion. However, this posters problem could be the water pump seal and it could be the impeller shaft and not the seal itself. I have seen several aftermarket impellers that have soft shafts on them and the seal has wore a groove in it so bad that a new seal does not fix it.Also, make sure you use a genuine Yamaha seal, because from what I have seen in my 25 years as a professional mechanic Yamaha has some of the best seals available.

Edited by bansheesandrider

The base gasket is the backup seal. If that fixed it, it will be a temporary fix as the real problem is the rubber plug in the bottom side of the cylinder is leaking and letting the water get to the base gasket. But, I don't know how it leaking past the plug and base gasket is letting it get in the tranny, because as far as I know there is no path for it to get there. If it was leaking past the base gasket, it would either run on the ground or into the crankcase and be burned or vaporized during combustion. However, this posters problem could be the water pump seal and it could be the impeller shaft and not the seal itself. I have seen several aftermarket impellers that have soft shafts on them and the seal has wore a groove in it so bad that a new seal does not fix it.Also, make sure you use a genuine Yamaha seal, because from what I have seen in my 25 years as a professional mechanic Yamaha has some of the best seals available.

X2 there is no way for water to leak past the base gasket into the tranny !

ive heard about the groove thing before and YES it definately has a lil groove wore into the shaft. not sure how bad it is but there is a groove on the shaft. so it sounds like a new shaft and seal then? thanks for pointin me in the right direction yal.

his lt never leaks coolant before or anything. he forget his gasket when he went to a guy house to put the engine together and dyno it, had to use a bad gasket. tried using yamabond, didn't fix it. once we got home, but the old good gasket back on, it worked perfect hasn't leaked since. but an lt motor is a little different than a banshee.

Well, this is a Banshee forum and we are talking about Banshees here.

I would get a genuine Yamaha seal and give your shaft a good inspection for grooves and do it sober. If the shaft is grooved you will need to replace it.

Edited by bansheesandrider

im fixin to put this bitch in the shop and be done worryin about it. cuz i think i might have a bad oring in my head to. i read that coolant spitting out of the overflow tube could mean that... mine does that. yep thinki ima just put it in the shop.