squish variation from front to back of piston

Guys, tell me is im being anal...trinity cheetah

When I measure squish, I get the following

left cyl front of dome .045

left cyl rear of dome .044

right cyl front of dome .049

right cyl rear of dome .044

Im wondering why the right front dome seems to be larger squish. Ive swaped domes around and get the same reading so its not the domes. Could be the head off a bit... is this worth worrying about? Ive measured it many times, cannot figure it out. Only other thing im thinking is that the piston is rocking a bit mor in that cyl...maybe not as much oil on the bore?

Thanks!

Guys, tell me is im being anal...trinity cheetah

When I measure squish, I get the following

left cyl front of dome .045

left cyl rear of dome .044

right cyl front of dome .049

right cyl rear of dome .044

Im wondering why the right front dome seems to be larger squish. Ive swaped domes around and get the same reading so its not the domes. Could be the head off a bit... is this worth worrying about? Ive measured it many times, cannot figure it out. Only other thing im thinking is that the piston is rocking a bit mor in that cyl...maybe not as much oil on the bore?

Thanks!

It's the piston rocking. There will be variation if you measure that way. You should measure squish in line with the wristpin.

Edited by bonbon

You shoudlnt even be measuering squish front to back. It allows the piston to rock in the bore which wont give you a true reading like your finding out. You want to measuer in line with the wrist pin.

Got me by a Min. :notworthy:

LOL. It's my one piece of useful knowledge for the year.

LOL bonbon, I was thinking that as I saw the piston rock when I push on it. Ill do it again(from writst pin side of piston) but does anyone still have an idea of how much variation would be ok from cyl to cyl? one at .050 the other at .054 etc....let me know what your folks remmeber wehn doing it...

Thanks!

LOL bonbon, I was thinking that as I saw the piston rock when I push on it. Ill do it again(from writst pin side of piston) but does anyone still have an idea of how much variation would be ok from cyl to cyl? one at .050 the other at .054 etc....let me know what your folks remmeber wehn doing it...

Thanks!

In a perfect world you want it to be dead nuts on...........That said, I would say as long as at your 4 measurement points do not have a variation of more than .002................you will be fine

.002" that seems very tight... im thinking I might have more than that. Typically dont folks usually give a range like .040-.045 Maybe they mean both side like .040 each side. some engine builder must know what the suish tolernace from cyl to cyl should be??

Thanks!

Well, it looks like one is .050 and the other is .053 Tim from titan is making me some domes custom to work with 93 ocatane... he like to run .050 on the cheetah engines...says works great.... lose a tad low end but has a much wider longer powerband. Pefrect for my street bike thats only 300lb....

lol, i would only start to worry about it when it gets a bit over .015" or even more variation in piston rock. that being said- throw those #'s out the door and go measure it correctly over the piston pins. lined up left and right of the cyls, all the way against the side of the cyl. you will probably find .035"-.040" squish as your actuall measurement. in the future, if you ever want to measure piston rock, you measure all 4, then subtract (right + left) from (front+rear) for total rock. for one-way rock- subtract (r+l)/2 from either front, or rear.

Well, since the dome is tapered at an angle, depending on where you take the measurement depends on the reading. Im measuring in the center of the crushed solder... not on either end... kind of like the average. is this not correct? Should I be measureing someplace else on the solder like the very tip at the tightest piston/dome location?

Thanks!