hime joint

2strokebob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the hime joint i use have an 11000 lb sheer strength meaning after the suspension bottoms out i would have to apply a direct 11000lbs of force to the hime joint its self. and i am sure my little dune tires would blow, spindle and A arm would break and my frame would collapse. besides divided over the two hime joints that would be.......now stick with me kids 22000lbs on a stock banshee chassis. that's 7.3 tons. not gonna happen. and im done teaching this class. its pointless. if you see me in the dunes feel free to say hi banghead

Edited by 2strokebob

the hime joint i use have an 11000 lb sheer strength meaning after the suspension bottoms out i would have to apply a direct 11000lbs of force to the hime joint its self. and i am sure my little dune tires would blow, spindle and A arm would break and my frame would collapse. besides divided over the two hime joints that would be.......now stick with me kids 22000lbs on a stock banshee chassis. that's 7.3 tons. not gonna happen. and im done teaching this class. its pointless. if you see me in the dunes feel free to say hi banghead

That is 11k lbs of STATIC load...

And just a little FYI... those are tested in a VERTICAL setting... NOT the way you have it rigged. You are not teaching any sort of a class: I have lived, breathed, and slept suspension for the last 8 years, day in and day out. I am telling you, FOR A FACT, that is one of the most unsafe "rigs" I have ever seen.

got to thinking matt about all your years of suspension knowledge and it turns out 8 time baha 1000 winner Dean Sundahl uses the same hime joints.

The SAME ones? From EBAY? You have lost your mind, my friend... You realize Dean Sundahl uses the Chromoly TEFLON heims in every photo I've ever seen. It's clear you don't know there is a difference in heims. The ones you used, are the cheapest option available. I do know one thing, for a fact. If dean sundahl saw the way you Frankensteined that thing on there, he SURE AS HELL would not get on that bike a ride it. I don't understand how you can argue that it is safe? You frankensteined a heim, where it doesn't belong, at a ridiculous angle, and stuck a bolt through it. If you MUST buy an eBay heim... use THIS HEIM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fk-rod-end-jmx10t-5-8-inch-heim-joint-tie-rod-end-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem562732607aQQitemZ370024800378QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

I am all for using heims on suspension. Every setup I ever built was heimed everywhere... that's not my point. My point is that at the time of purchasing, you were ignorant to the fact that there are different kinds of heims. That's not your fault... I'm just trying to educate you, and possibly save your life. If you want to argue, for once, I'm not going to do it.

But I do have to ask the question.... why didn't you just replace the ball joint? You know on those YFZ arms, they are replaceable, right?

i have no certificates in suspension knowledge.... but just looking at that picture you can tell its un-safe, that little tiny steel heim being used to take the brunt of the load from your front suspension? looks like some broken bones just waiting to happen, ive never seen such small heim joints on a suspension before, that is downright scary looking. but then again, what do i know, like someone mentioned though...who in their right mind would put $4 heims on that $10,000+ custom banshee!?.. talk about cutting corners.

hmm, a couple q's.......first, you are talking about "kingpin angle".....that is a really vauge term, and really only aplies to kingpins and other strait axles, where they are fixed, not moving/changing with ride height. so, was that caster, or sai? don't even say camber.......another q- i'm wondering why you did not take the time to correct the angles while you were at it, either by seting it up with yfz spindles and bringing the caster back up into the 3-6degree range, or correcting the joint angles to prevent binding on those banshee spindles? also- that 11000 static load, means you can mount it at 90 degrees and hang a verticle load less than 11000lbs before it snaps, in bulk average, on new units, which means there is variance, which some may not hold that much, and that it should never be engineered into a system applying more force than 1/3 that amount. now, the question- what is the deflection rating on the eyelet, and do you know what amount of that force is applied by merely hitting bumps and other obsticles? how about the more important rating of where the weight is carried at the weakest part, trying to suck the eye strait off the ball , rather than pulling against it?......btw- if the suspension extends any much more than that, both the heim and ball joitns are gonna be tearing themselfs up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bet you wish you never posted that picture of your homemade death trap!

no i realy dont care. all this time spent trying to convence people that there not alwayse right is getting boring. buy the way this bike has the same set up as i do. more people run these hime joints then you would think.

015-2.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

have a nice day and see you in the sand