2strokebob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new hime joint on YFZ 450 front end

017.jpg

016.jpg

No offense bro, but that is a TINY heim to use for that purpose. I would atleast run an FK chromoly heim in there if you must run one that small. I don't see that heim lasting more than one ride without bending or snapping clean off. Those non-teflon heims are extremely weak... especially one that small. I wouldn't run anything smaller than a 5/8" (shank) x 1/2" (hole) on the arms...

I've got bigger heim joints on my drag bike and all it does is go down a flat 300 foot strip.

I don't know if I'd trust that heim to unload it off the back of my truck, seriously.

Grainger has all kinds of different Heim joints, as does McMaster Carr.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you from some injury...I wouldn't trust that heim to go up and down loading ramps in the back of my truck/trailer...

Im not very keen on hiem joints either. I had a set of the fullflights and mine looked similar. I rode them for a season then offed them. Just didnt seem right.

First, what was your reasoning on welding a heim bung in on the lower a-arm, the ball joints are replaceable on the yfz arms.

Second, why did you choose a 3/8" standard heim? They should only be used on steering linkages, brake/clutch linkages, and sway bar links. They don't have the strength to hold up in the way you have intended it too.

Cut that sucker out and install some 5/8" chromolly heims before you hurt yourself.

LOL. that hime joint has a half inch rod out both sides. there the same ones Dave Moore uses on all his custom suspension. even on this bike.

013.jpg

019.jpg

im not saying i dont trust your guys advise, but if he would trust them on a $14,000 custom snowmo 890 why not a banshee! just saying

LOL. that hime joint has a half inch rod out both sides. there the same ones Dave Moore uses on all his custom suspension. even on this bike.

013.jpg

019.jpg

im not saying i dont trust your guys advise, but if he would trust them on a $14,000 custom snowmo 890 why not a banshee! just saying

LOL, on a $14k shee, he uses $4 dollar heims? Remind me never to have that guy build me anything...

We only use the 1/2" heims on our drag arms and hillshooter drag chassis, nothing else. If you wanted a nice replaceable balljoint, I offer a beefy m16x1.5 heavy duty balljoint the has the proper taper to fit the yamaha spindles. But now that you have drilled the spindle for the 1/2" heim, they will require a sleeve to make them fit properly. But I would not trust that heim for a recreational bike.

• 2 weeks later...

We only use the 1/2" heims on our drag arms and hillshooter drag chassis, nothing else. If you wanted a nice replaceable balljoint, I offer a beefy m16x1.5 heavy duty balljoint the has the proper taper to fit the yamaha spindles. But now that you have drilled the spindle for the 1/2" heim, they will require a sleeve to make them fit properly. But I would not trust that heim for a recreational bike.

:notworthy:

i have a question about king pin angle and why your tie rod angle looks like it would defeat any Ackermann in the hill shooter chassie. why the choice of no king pin angle in the hill shooter, gotta steer some time. but what do I know I use 1/2 IN hime joints

Edited by 2strokebob

Dude, all we are saying it is painfully obvious that it is unsafe. You can do what you wish with your own life... but if we told you it was safe, and you killed yourself... some of us might feel liable.

the reason i dident replace with a ball joint is that the socket was whore not the ball!!!!!