toomey sparkys!

323manshee

Suup guys, just wanna give you a heads up on the toomey spark arrestor v.3. I installed these and ran them fine for a two day trip. The thing is that I recommend u service them after every trip. I went ridding sat may 29 and hadn't serviced them. 30 minutes into the ride I began to feel a loss of power in the top end. I ran for maybe 5 more minutes and the power loss became more noticeable so I decided to head back to camp. Maybe 2 minutes on the way back the bike felt totally trashed. It wouldn't rev into the power band, not even fast enough to ride in second gear, I barely made it up the trails and had to be pushed on one. Those 30 minutes out turned into over an hr trip to get back to camp. I cleaned out my carbs, changed my plugs, syncd the carbs again, my next guess were the arrestors but unfortunately I didn't have the tools to pull them out so I had to call it a day. I thought I had blown the engine but when I got home I took the sparkys out and replaced them with the stock silencer caps and shee was runnin like a champ again. All the carbon buildup in the screens ruined my day out so word to the wise, clean your spark arrestors.

Suup guys, just wanna give you a heads up on the toomey spark arrestor v.3. I installed these and ran them fine for a two day trip. The thing is that I recommend u service them after every trip. I went ridding sat may 29 and hadn't serviced them. 30 minutes into the ride I began to feel a loss of power in the top end. I ran for maybe 5 more minutes and the power loss became more noticeable so I decided to head back to camp. Maybe 2 minutes on the way back the bike felt totally trashed. It wouldn't rev into the power band, not even fast enough to ride in second gear, I barely made it up the trails and had to be pushed on one. Those 30 minutes out turned into over an hr trip to get back to camp. I cleaned out my carbs, changed my plugs, syncd the carbs again, my next guess were the arrestors but unfortunately I didn't have the tools to pull them out so I had to call it a day. I thought I had blown the engine but when I got home I took the sparkys out and replaced them with the stock silencer caps and shee was runnin like a champ again. All the carbon buildup in the screens ruined my day out so word to the wise, clean your spark arrestors.

i also run them and love them... just one problem... i blew the screens right out of them two weeks ago but toomey hooked me up with a new set at no charge......IMG_1124.jpg

i also run them and love them... just one problem... i blew the screens right out of them two weeks ago but toomey hooked me up with a new set at no charge......IMG_1124.jpg

Hahaha that's insane! Did u have yours welded on? How do you pull out the screens and replace them?

Actually, Joe's mod is what every one wants in order to ride at those strict OHV areas. Awesome work!!

Are these sparky screens different from the old Toomey sparky setup? I never had a prob with the old ones & never had carbon buildup to even try to clog the screens. Maybe jetting was off....... ?

Actually, Joe's mod is what every one wants in order to ride at those strict OHV areas. Awesome work!!

Are these sparky screens different from the old Toomey sparky setup? I never had a prob with the old ones & never had carbon buildup to even try to clog the screens. Maybe jetting was off....... ?

x2, probaly too much oil and/or fuel to keep them clean. think of it like a catalitic converter, or deisel scrubber: it needs some heat to burn off deposits. i bet your packing gets loaded up, too. make sure you are jetted for a hot engine, too.

x2, probaly too much oil and/or fuel to keep them clean. think of it like a catalitic converter, or deisel scrubber: it needs some heat to burn off deposits. i bet your packing gets loaded up, too. make sure you are jetted for a hot engine, too.

I pour 16oz into 5 gallons, I think that's 30:1 but correct me if I'm wrong. If I have too much fuel I should try going down on the size of my jets? Thanks fellas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my dad has run the toomey hush kit for a long time a few years now. he has gotten to the point where he just runs it on his t 5s all the time. no signifigant power loss keeps sparks and noise down when he needs it and it still rips. just my opinion and have never seen or run the sparkys but toomey is an excellent company

my dad has run the toomey hush kit for a long time a few years now. he has gotten to the point where he just runs it on his t 5s all the time. no signifigant power loss keeps sparks and noise down when he needs it and it still rips. just my opinion and have never seen or run the sparkys but toomey is an excellent company

• 6 months later...