fox floats or elka piggybacks?

vbanshee

if money is of no concern then pick up a set of fox float evols. if the decision is between the normal floats and elkas then i would probly go with a set of elka dune editions.

you cant get the evolvs for the banshee.

i have fox's i think they are awesome, i cant compare to elkas coz i havent ridden a banshee that has them, but i am extremely happy with my fox's.

i too was tossing up the elkas/fox's and went with the fox's because im more of a rec rider.

if i want a harder ride or harder for jumps i just pump more air in and if im trailing i let a little air out. but i havent, ive left them at 70psi since ive had them and they have never leaked and i love caining it over woops and shit terrain.

All the MX guys around hear use the Elka's they love them, to rich for me I have works shocks with reses and love them they are 8 years old and still work great with no leaks and much cheaper

you cant get the evolvs for the banshee.

i have fox's i think they are awesome, i cant compare to elkas coz i havent ridden a banshee that has them, but i am extremely happy with my fox's.

i contacted fox about a quote on the evols for my banshee a few months back. they said nothing about not making the evols for banshees and gave me a quote of somewhere between 1,200 to 1,400 if i remember correctly. and if im not mistaken "THE358BANSH" has evols on the front of his banshee. maybe you just cant use the evols on standard travel arms? :shrugani:

im not shaw who your referring too but is it the member here that has the LT setup ? i think those evols are from another bike and he made them a LT for the banshee.

i called my supplier a few days ago about the evols and he said "no, they dont do them for the shee".

ill find out more, but im certain you cant get the evols for the banshee.

im not shaw who your referring too but is it the member here that has the LT setup ? i think those evols are from another bike and he made them a LT for the banshee.

i called my supplier a few days ago about the evols and he said "no, they dont do them for the shee".

ill find out more, but im certain you cant get the evols for the banshee.

Used Arctic Cat snow-go shocks FTW!!

i would stick with old fashion coil over shocks, or whatever youd like to call them

with air shocks like fox everything like elevation, temperature, humidity, etc, can effect its performance,

As the resident shock expert here... I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Air shocks, while ugly, are the most versatile shock made. Just by the design, your spring rate is almost endless. If you are unaware, shocks are filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen does NOT react to temperature/elevation/humidity, which is why the majority of tire shops are starting to fill tires with nitrogen, not to mention nitrogen doesn't harbor moisture the way oxygenated "air" does. Having worked around shocks for the MANY years I have... here is my suggestion.

If you only do one type of riding, ie trails, dunes, rock, whatever... get the Elka's and set them up for what you do. If you want to be able to adjust your shocks easily, and almost "on the fly", the floats are the way to go.

Typical coilovers WILL give you a better all around ride, but unless you are competing, I doubt you will notice. Air shocks are AWESOME products when used correctly in the right application. There are very few scenarios that an air shock, such as the Floats, WOULDN'T work well.

If I were in the market for shocks, I would get the floats just for the adjustability factor. I think I'd like the options of HAVING so many options (if that makes sense). Parts are readily available, and cheap.

In conclusion, as far as spring rates go, the air shock is BY FAR the most versatile option. You change your spring rate by the nitrogen pressure. Most Fox's (not sure about the Floats), can be pressurized up to 800psi in case you're a fatty and need a 550lb spring rate. =)

As the resident shock expert here... I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Air shocks, while ugly, are the most versatile shock made. Just by the design, your spring rate is almost endless. If you are unaware, shocks are filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen does NOT react to temperature/elevation/humidity, which is why the majority of tire shops are starting to fill tires with nitrogen, not to mention nitrogen doesn't harbor moisture the way oxygenated "air" does. Having worked around shocks for the MANY years I have... here is my suggestion.

If you only do one type of riding, ie trails, dunes, rock, whatever... get the Elka's and set them up for what you do. If you want to be able to adjust your shocks easily, and almost "on the fly", the floats are the way to go.

Typical coilovers WILL give you a better all around ride, but unless you are competing, I doubt you will notice. Air shocks are AWESOME products when used correctly in the right application. There are very few scenarios that an air shock, such as the Floats, WOULDN'T work well.

If I were in the market for shocks, I would get the floats just for the adjustability factor. I think I'd like the options of HAVING so many options (if that makes sense). Parts are readily available, and cheap.

In conclusion, as far as spring rates go, the air shock is BY FAR the most versatile option. You change your spring rate by the nitrogen pressure. Most Fox's (not sure about the Floats), can be pressurized up to 800psi in case you're a fatty and need a 550lb spring rate. =)

thanks for the education without trying to insult or belittle me, thats how it should be done, but unfortunately is usually not

:huh: you can get the evols but they will be 2 inches longer than the st ockers . i have the floats you must rebuild them every season if you beat the piss out of them. cost about 50 $ for the rebuild kit . being aluminum they break easy in a bad crash to.

Since we are having a good discussion on air versus sprung shocks, I'll chime in. Not bashing or anything just filling in some more for the other members, comments are in red with my thoughts also below.

In respect to the oil/valving, the standard float is exactly like a Elka in terms of weather changes. 90% of people use plain air using the small hand pumps to fill the spring chambers on the floats. They will have some pressure changes, most specifically with temperature. It's pretty simple, whatever the temp is that I am riding in is where I set the shock pressure at. If you set the pressure in the shop where it's 75 degrees, then go riding the next day outside in winter the pressures will be lower. The largest issue with the air shock in general is the fact that the "spring" rate while in compression is an exponential rate instead of linear. Not that big of a deal because you can tune around it.

If you only do one type of riding, ie trails, dunes, rock, whatever... get the Elka's and set them up for what you do.

Agreed

If you want to be able to adjust your shocks easily, and almost "on the fly", the floats are the way to go.

In reference to spring rate, yes. When referring to compression or rebound valving being the same and option level of the shock, both will have the same adjustablitiy

In conclusion, as far as spring rates go, the air shock is BY FAR the most versatile option. You change your spring rate by the chamber(air or nitrogen) pressure. Most Fox's (not sure about the Floats), can be pressurized up to 800psi in case you're a fatty and need a 550lb spring rate. =)

That bitch would haul like a semi with 800 psi in it! I'll be the first on to admit I'm a fatty. In the main chamber right now I'm only about 52 psi and right at 150psi in the evol chamber. I think max recommended for the main chamber is 100psi and for the evol chamber is 300psi.

If you are comparing true bolt in shocks for a banshee, I would take the Elka. The offer them fully adjustable, compression/rebound/preload/triple rate sprung fully kitted out. The most optioned Float shock that bolts in a banshee is the "R" model, which is only a compression/single "spring" rate deal. I'm sure people are mixing and matching other Float models into the banshee, but I am not going to let them experiment with my money.

I chose the Float Evol with DSC for a few reasons. First, I ride many different terrains and weather conditions. Trail/MX/Ice, I can set my ride height/roll resistance quickly/easily with the air pumps in less than 2 minutes. The other reason was the Dual Stage Compression valving. Wether it be high speed or low shock shaft speed, I can adjust for conditions. When it comes down to it, I love to fiddle and these Floats give me the most options and they are kinda like riding on air...<-----Kind of cheesy huh? Evan