polishing and porting

i am just wondering if i polish the exhaust pot on my she and the rest of the intake along with the bottom of the cylinder, if that i will notice any power difference. that and along with raising and widening each side of the exhaust por about i mil maybe 1.5mill each side and top. i would rather start with polishing but if there is no signifigant change i might do the minor porting. any advice tips or other information that i might need?

You have got some reading to do. I recommend you find a PDF copy of Gordon Jennings and A. Grahm Bells books on two stroke tuning and read them both a couple of times before you even begin to gind. As far as your question on polishing, it will yeild no gain and can acctually hurt performance on the intake and transfers because it will slow the charge vs a port with a consistent texture. I polish the exhaust side only to prevent carbon deposits from building. Read up untill you have a good grasp on the work at hand.

You have got some reading to do. I recommend you find a PDF copy of Gordon Jennings and A. Grahm Bells books on two stroke tuning and read them both a couple of times before you even begin to gind. As far as your question on polishing, it will yeild no gain and can acctually hurt performance on the intake and transfers because it will slow the charge vs a port with a consistent texture. I polish the exhaust side only to prevent carbon deposits from building. Read up untill you have a good grasp on the work at hand.

Don't even bother wasting your time. Just hit up a site sponsor to port ur jugs. Why chance mangling them up and having to buy a new set? Just my thought.

Don't even bother wasting your time. Just hit up a site sponsor to port ur jugs. Why chance mangling them up and having to buy a new set? Just my thought.

:clap::headbang: Yeah, What he said! If you can't afford to have a guy who knows what he's doing port it for you....Then you can't afford to screw it up yourself. If you can afford a new set of cylinders if you make a mistake....then buy them now and start hacking on those. When they are done you can give them a try. That way if your work sucks, you can pull them off...put your old ones back on ...and list you "Awesome Race Ported cyliders" on Ebay like everyone else. :jesterlaugh: Seriously, A good port job won't set you back that much. Use a top builder from one of the sites. Your local lawnmower repair guy isn't going to save you a dime.....He's going to end up COSTING you coin. Good luck.

banghead

Do you guys ger paid by the site sponsors to say stuff like this?

It does not take a genius to widen and raise a hole.

Like I said, widen it by 1.5mm on each side, raise the exhaust port 2mm and try to keep the shape as close as possible to the original hole. Don't touch the floor; blend the cut through the port to keep the cone angle the same. Make sure there are no sharp edges, chamfer the port when you're done.

Cost: maybe 20 bucks for a few rat tail files for 10 plus horsepower.

Go to the main repairs page and click on useful links.

Download bells book and read.

Then port your cylinders if you think you can.

A builder can get you more power but if you are even somewhat mechanically inclined and are not on crack you can get some free hp.

Why not?

Hell yeah! Then when you whopmn450s you don't have to fes up to a 500 dollar port job ;)

banghead

Do you guys ger paid by the site sponsors to say stuff like this?

It does not take a genius to widen and raise a hole.

Like I said, widen it by 1.5mm on each side, raise the exhaust port 2mm and try to keep the shape as close as possible to the original hole. Don't touch the floor; blend the cut through the port to keep the cone angle the same. Make sure there are no sharp edges, chamfer the port when you're done.

Cost: maybe 20 bucks for a few rat tail files for 10 plus horsepower.

Go to the main repairs page and click on useful links.

Download bells book and read.

Then port your cylinders if you think you can.

A builder can get you more power but if you are even somewhat mechanically inclined and are not on crack you can get some free hp.

Why not?