milky oil

just had my bike rebuilt. checked the oil and it looks like milk/cream. I highly doubt the head is leaking. where would this leak be? the water impeller? do i need to take off the entire clutch cover to get at it? i could use a little help here. thanks.

Famous water pump. Pull clutch cover and rebuild.

B

I just went through this with my bike. I had to pull my clutch cover and the hose that runs from the water pump to the outside of the case was loose in there so i put some sealant around it and tapped it in to where it was supposed to be. no more leak so far. hope this helps

I forgot to mention sometimes on that metal stud/hose there is a rubber gasket around it and that can get pinched in there and not create a good seal. so when u take the cover off make sure that o ring is on nice and good. also when putting it back together run some oil around that hose so it slips on with no troubles

i've changed the oil a few times and it still happens. the coolant is a little low and there doesn't appear to be any oil in it. Do i have to pull the entire clutch cover or can i just take off the little cover on it that's held on by three screws?

Pull the clutch cover...

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I am actually having the same issue right now and im supposed to ride on saturday!!!! The top end was just done and bottom end rebuilt. the thing is my coolant is not low and there is no oil in it, i did 3 oil changes on it and it seems to be getting a little better but not by much. do you think i have the same issue? Should i just get a coolant hose o-ring and water pump o-ring or bearing (whatever is in there) also should i replace the clutch cover gasket too? this sux banghead would the dealer have these things or am i screwed for riding this weekend?

It doesn't take much coolant to turn the trans oil milky. You may not notice the level going down. Replace the water tube o ring, water pump bearing and seal. Inspect the water pump shaft for a groove where the seal runs. Yes you will need a new clutch cover gasket and water pump gasket. I like to leave the water pump cover off while I'm installing the clutch cover. Spin the impeller to get the teeth to mesh. Kick the motor over to make sure the impeller is turning.

It doesn't take much coolant to turn the trans oil milky. You may not notice the level going down. Replace the water tube o ring, water pump bearing and seal. Inspect the water pump shaft for a groove where the seal runs. Yes you will need a new clutch cover gasket and water pump gasket. I like to leave the water pump cover off while I'm installing the clutch cover. Spin the impeller to get the teeth to mesh. Kick the motor over to make sure the impeller is turning.

Thanks for your quick reply man! I will do all of this, hopefully i can get all the parts by friday so i can ride on sat!!! i already called the dealer and no one has any of it. Im gonna see if i can overnight it from someone. would you happen to know who would be able to have it sent to me that fast? Again thanks for your help, BHQ guys are the best :notworthy:

Jeez! Your dealer sucks! These are common parts that all dealers should carry. Maybe not the impeller, but they should carry everything else. Post your location. Maybe someone here can let you know where there's a decent dealer near you. I assume by dirty jrz you mean New Jersey. Isn't that just across the bridge from NY city? Surely there's a decent dealer in NY city. I personally like dealing with Cascade Innovations, but they're only about 120 miles from me. They will stock everything you need, but shipping will probably be expensive for overnight.

Edited by Starwriter

Jeez! Your dealer sucks! These are common parts that all dealers should carry. Maybe not the impeller, but they should carry everything else. Post your location. Maybe someone here can let you know where there's a decent dealer near you. I assume by dirty jrz you mean New Jersey. Isn't that just across the bridge from NY city? Surely there's a decent dealer in NY city. I personally like dealing with Cascade Innovations, but they're only about 120 miles from me. They will stock everything you need, but shipping will probably be expensive for overnight.

yes NEW JERSEY lol, and yes all of these dealers blow for banshee parts for some reason. The guy searched all of the dealers in the area even NY which is about 15 min from me and no one has it, I just called Jeff at FAST and hopefully he will be able to hook me up, if not i will call cascade. At his point i just want it running right for saturday no matter what the price!!!!!!! :shrugani: thanks for the info again

ok so i got the seals and bearing coming in on friday and will install them. I also have a kickstarter question. I noticed that with the cover off if i put the kickstart lever on and turn it the gear will pass the idler gear. My question is does the white plastic that is on the shaft hold it back when the cover is on? Also, is there supposed to be any play at all in the idler gear?

ok so i got the seals and bearing coming in on friday and will install them. I also have a kickstarter question. I noticed that with the cover off if i put the kickstart lever on and turn it the gear will pass the idler gear. My question is does the white plastic that is on the shaft hold it back when the cover is on? Also, is there supposed to be any play at all in the idler gear?

no one has any input on this?

My question is does the white plastic that is on the shaft hold it back when the cover is on?

Yes.

"Also, is there supposed to be any play at all in the idler gear?"

A tiny amount of wobble is OK. Noticeable up and down play, probably not. How loose is too loose? Dunno. Never had to replace an idler gear bushing. Some people on here have had to though.

Yes.

"Also, is there supposed to be any play at all in the idler gear?"

A tiny amount of wobble is OK. Noticeable up and down play, probably not. How loose is too loose? Dunno. Never had to replace an idler gear bushing. Some people on here have had to though.

Thanks a lot man, thats some weight off the shoulders lol. there is only a tiny bit of wobble on the gear, no up and down play at all, i just noticed that tiny bit and was concered. I guess it makes sense to have a tiny bit anyways, to let the kick start gear fall back easier. its weird how shit tends to happen last minute before a ride :confused: but thanks to you and BHQ it can get resolved!