no spark

ok so i have a problem with my 88 shee.... i rode yesterday with no problems and then today i got to fire it up and it fired up for a second and died .... so i check for fuel and spark and found that i had no spark.... i check both the stator and pickup coil and everything is in spec so i checked the coil and the primary side was ok but when i followed the manuals way of checkin the secondary side by testing from the black side of the primary side to the either wire on the secondary side of the coil i got nothing .... and this was on two different coils .... so what im asking is does anyone know what voltage either ac or dc should i be seeing on the primary side of the coil coming from the cdi to rule out if i have a coil or a cdi problem..... thanx for any help.... i just finished my winter rebuild and im dying to ride..... please help a brutha out ...lol

ok so i have a problem with my 88 shee.... i rode yesterday with no problems and then today i got to fire it up and it fired up for a second and died .... so i check for fuel and spark and found that i had no spark.... i check both the stator and pickup coil and everything is in spec so i checked the coil and the primary side was ok but when i followed the manuals way of checkin the secondary side by testing from the black side of the primary side to the either wire on the secondary side of the coil i got nothing .... and this was on two different coils .... so what im asking is does anyone know what voltage either ac or dc should i be seeing on the primary side of the coil coming from the cdi to rule out if i have a coil or a cdi problem..... thanx for any help.... i just finished my winter rebuild and im dying to ride..... please help a brutha out ...lol

The manual is wrong on how to check the secondary side of the coil, the way the manual says to do it is for a typical coil that only has 1 wire or tower on it. The correct way to check a Banshee coil is to connect 1 lead from your meter to EACH one of the spark plug wires and see what you get.Check your magnets in the flywheel to see if they are ok, check the air gap on the pickup coil, it should be .017 inches or about the thickness of a matchbook cover. Ohm out the stator, pickup coil, and the coil, if they all check out, then borrow a CDI box from a buddy and see if it will run. According to the Yamaha manual, there is no way to check the CDI box, except by substituting another.You should also check the spark plug caps on the coil, they have a resistor in them that can go bad.

The manual is wrong on how to check the secondary side of the coil, the way the manual says to do it is for a typical coil that only has 1 wire or tower on it. The correct way to check a Banshee coil is to connect 1 lead from your meter to EACH one of the spark plug wires and see what you get.Check your magnets in the flywheel to see if they are ok, check the air gap on the pickup coil, it should be .017 inches or about the thickness of a matchbook cover. Ohm out the stator, pickup coil, and the coil, if they all check out, then borrow a CDI box from a buddy and see if it will run. According to the Yamaha manual, there is no way to check the CDI box, except by substituting another.You should also check the spark plug caps on the coil, they have a resistor in them that can go bad.

ah ok thanx...does anyone in the clio area wanna help a brutha out with a known good cdi box i can see if it works...hit me up 810 262 1560

ah ok thanx...does anyone in the clio area wanna help a brutha out with a known good cdi box i can see if it works...hit me up 810 262 1560

GEEZZZZ sorry guys about all the doube posting .... trying to reply by my cell phone suxs... but i figured that it is the cdi box.... seems like the prevous owner had did a little work to it .... seems like the the box took a good hit and had a good crack and broke a chip of it ... so someone tried to use silicone to seal it back up ... well i cut the cdi outta the box and it got some mositure into it and started to corrode..... sux ... oh well...a new cdi on the way ... :shootself:

GEEZZZZ sorry guys about all the doube posting .... trying to reply by my cell phone suxs... but i figured that it is the cdi box.... seems like the prevous owner had did a little work to it .... seems like the the box took a good hit and had a good crack and broke a chip of it ... so someone tried to use silicone to seal it back up ... well i cut the cdi outta the box and it got some mositure into it and started to corrode..... sux ... oh well...a new cdi on the way ... :shootself:

ok so i installed the new coil and cdi box .... still no spark .... check stator and its ohms out within specs no problem...and the pick up coil also is within specs.... idk what to do.... banghead

ok so i installed the new coil and cdi box .... still no spark .... check stator and its ohms out within specs no problem...and the pick up coil also is within specs.... idk what to do.... banghead

no worries,I fixed it for him.....just outta tune was all....

Do you need special plug caps or will anyone from

an auto parts store work?

Do you need special plug caps or will anyone from

an auto parts store work?

im pretty sure u need to use the 5k ohm caps.... but i swapped cdi boxes an trailered it over to his house and it fired....lol he tuned her in good...other than that havnt had a problem... just working on the jetting and its golden .... alil rich off the bottom...i think my pilot maybe too rich like u said overboost... thanx again for showing me again bro!!