Trial Tech Vapor Install on Stock Handlebars

Driggs

I'm going to order a Vapor tonight but I don't want to pay the 90 bones for the mounting bracket. I searched and found a lot of custom made brackets for aftermarket bars but what about stock handlebars. Any suggestions or should I just pony up???

i played around with this and in the long run ended up with the trail tech mount, one trick though if you plan on going the battery rout hook up two 9v in series a total of 18v you'll have a brighter back lite screen and the same run time as single, thats what i did, here is the link http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv182/mattrentz_2009/Yamaha%20Banshee/

Glad I came across this thread I'm in the process of installing one and was thinking about doing the same thing. I like the one in the bar pad real clean looking, but was thinking about hooking up somthing like volfan.

Few questions -

volfan - did you have any problems with clearance of the fuel tank cap?

Also the trailtech has a power cord they recommend going to a battery, however our Shee's don't have them. Did you guys hook this up? or just run it off of the vapors internal battery? If you did hook up the power cord did you tap it into one of the power lines going to say the head lights? And last - I would assume what little electrical power this thing needs the stock stator should have enough to power it right?

Thanks in advance for any insight - figured I'd hit up some guys who have already had experience with it.

Glad I came across this thread I'm in the process of installing one and was thinking about doing the same thing. I like the one in the bar pad real clean looking, but was thinking about hooking up somthing like volfan.

Few questions -

Also the trailtech has a power cord they recommend going to a battery, however our Shee's don't have them. Did you guys hook this up? or just run it off of the vapors internal battery? If you did hook up the power cord did you tap it into one of the power lines going to say the head lights? And last - I would assume what little electrical power this thing needs the stock stator should have enough to power it right?

Thanks in advance for any insight - figured I'd hit up some guys who have already had experience with it.

I have installed a few of these, for a power input I and trail tech recommend hooking it up to a 9volt battery. the banshee electrical system is to noisy for the vapor and will interfere with tach read out, but the problem with hooking it up to a 9volt battery is that it will only light up half the backlite screen LED's so it appears as dim as the the internal battery, my salotion hooking up two 9volts in series to equal 18volt you'll have the same run time as a single just dubble the volts. the vapor will than be as bright if not brighter than the stator, lighting all the LED's. I have this setup and love it, I call trail tech before doing this the vapor can handle a whooping 400volts, so your safe. here is a link to my photobucket to see my setup http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv182/mattrentz_2009/Yamaha%20Banshee/

and here is a link to hooking up two 9volts in series http://media.photobucket.com/image/9%20volt%20battery%20in%20series/zakkwyldefan79/EMG%2018v%20Mod/EMG18VoltMod3.jpg

Few questions -

no i didnt have any clearance problems with the gas cap. and i wired mine in with the hot wire feeding the light switch. ive had no problems with any interference but ive read many posts from guys that did have this problem. some guys fixed this problem by using resistor plugs. b8res instead of b8es. i use standard b8es with no problems.

the only issue you will have by running it off the stator is that when the rpm's are low like at idle the backlights will be dim similar to the way your headlights do. i like bigmatts idea of 2 9v batteries.

I have a Trail Tech Vector, it is a Vapor without the tach. I had problems with the Vapor resetting on my bike because of the interference, even with BR8ES plugs, 1 or 2 9V batteries for power, etc. I even took the bike to Trail Tech and they could not fix it with every trick they knew, including 3 different units and 2 complete sets of sensors and wires. I decided the tach was too hard to read while riding at speed, so they GAVE mr a Vector and let me keep the Vapor also. I have the power wire spliced into the wire that goes to the voltage regulator and also supplies the headlight switch. I have not noticed any problems with the display being dim and everything works perfectly.

I have a Trail Tech Vector, it is a Vapor without the tach. I had problems with the Vapor resetting on my bike because of the interference, even with BR8ES plugs, 1 or 2 9V batteries for power, etc. I even took the bike to Trail Tech and they could not fix it with every trick they knew, including 3 different units and 2 complete sets of sensors and wires. I decided the tach was too hard to read while riding at speed, so they GAVE mr a Vector and let me keep the Vapor also. I have the power wire spliced into the wire that goes to the voltage regulator and also supplies the headlight switch. I have not noticed any problems with the display being dim and everything works perfectly.

I had the same problem, trail tech when back and forth with me for over a month, I ended up getting the vector with a remote. I like it much better now. Its more race tunned with maintenance update and timmings. I saw no point in the tach read out other than it looks cool, its to inaccurate to tune off of, and if you need shift lights GET OFF A BANSHEE. and there is no remote for the vapor to control from the bars, that made a big difference rate there. there are alot of guys out there that have had this problem and then there are alot who have not, its a gamble but if I could have done it all over I would have just went with the vector. I dont know if you could contribute this interference with a cleaned up harness or tores eliminator or what all I know is trail tech could no iceolate the problem I mean I was on there tech support so much I could build the damn things I know them inside and out so if you got any install problems shoot me a PM, but I would just get the vector its hassle free and I think is better.