Oregon dunes?

g-force

I'm wanting to plan a trip to the Oregon dunes this summer, but have never been. If you were going for the first time where would you camp? Do you camp right at the dunes? Are there campgrounds close by where you can ride to the dunes? Also do they enforce the sound level rules, or can you just run your normal pipes? Do you have to get an out of state regisration sticker? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover everything before I head up there.

I'm wanting to plan a trip to the Oregon dunes this summer, but have never been. If you were going for the first time where would you camp? Do you camp right at the dunes? Are there campgrounds close by where you can ride to the dunes? Also do they enforce the sound level rules, or can you just run your normal pipes? Do you have to get an out of state regisration sticker? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover everything before I head up there.

Check this site out, should help. Most campgrounds are right next to the dunes. http://duneguide.com/

You can camp right at the dunes. As far as sound is concerned we do have a 93 db limit that is enforced. You would have less of a chance of a ticket at winchester bay. If you like the big hills and tree shots then winchester bay is the place to go. Florence is ok has a mixture of flats and beach access if you want to ride on the beach. Coos Bay has some nice hills and tree shots with beach access also. If your state has OHV registration then you should not have to get a Oregon pass when you get here.

You can sand camp out in the dunes, I would recomend reservations even to camp in the sand as it is very busy in the summer and even out in the sand there are designatrd campsites. In the Florence area the only improved campground that you can ride out of in the summer is Driftwood II at the south end. At the Winchester Bay area, there is a county campground right next to the dunes, Half Moon Bay, that you can ride out of. There is another county campground closer to town, Windy Cove, that you can ride from along the road to the dunes. There is a private campground right next to the dune also. It is called Discovery Point and they have RVand tent sites and also cabins that can be rented, some of the cabins are actually RVs that are permanently setup there and some are like motel rooms. At the Coos Bay area, there are several federal or private campground that you can ride out of, even a KOA that is kind of spendy in my opinion, but it is nice and has hot showers. Also, the Federal improved campground, Horsfall, has showers. There is Horsfall AND Horsfall Beach campground, don't mix them up. As I said there is sand camping at all 3 areas also. No matter where you are staying, in the summertime I recomend reservations.

Also, Oregon now requires an ATV Operators Permit for anyone under the age of 30 to ride on public land, next year it will be anyone under 40, and then 50 the year after that. You can find out info on that at www.rideatvoregon.org to see if you need one based on age and out of state requirements. If your state reconises Oregon tags on the bike then the tag on your bike will be reconised by Oregon. The Oregon Dunes does have sound laws and they setup random checkpoints to enforce it, I have always managed to avoid them, they usually put them on a narrow section of trail so they can control who goes by. My bike is perfectly legal, but I am not sure about the wife's bike.The law says that it needs to be below 93 db, the law also says that it needs to be a USFS approved spark arrestor, but they USUALLY don't enforce that part as there is not that much out there to burn.

I would recommend Winchester Bay for your first trip. It has the biggest dune faces and best hill climbs by far. It does not have as many square miles of riding area and you cant ride on the beach like Florence or Coos Bay - (Horse Falls, Howser and Spinreel), but you are in between the other 2 riding areas and its only 10-30 minutes drive to the other riding areas. I would also recommend Discovery Point for camping. They also have a little convienience store and a good little ATV shop/store, laundry mat and you can ride out of the camp ground. I have been tempted to get a few people together and rent one of the new 3 story luxury condos (3 separate bedrooms) for $275 per night they rent out of Discovery point (see picture on the website home page). It is right at the beginning of the dunes. There is a pier on the bay 1/4 mile away from the camp ground that you can ride to and go crabbing for dungenous crabs. The store rents crab rings. I have never seen a sound check point at Winchester Bay and it seems like at this area they hastle the least. I have always gotten away without any spark arrestor on my rockets and I never see them on any other banshee either at W.B. There are other less expensive options close by at Winchester Bay that you have to trailor to the dunes that rent cabins and yurts for around $30 per night at the umpqua state lighthouse campground. You have to reserve several monthes in advance for summer monthes.

I'm havving difficulty using the link post function so here it is to cut and paste. http://www.discoverypointresort.com/