Elka Stage 1 Recreational shocks

seabass

I'm thinking of ordering the Stage 1 Elkas. They're $475 shipped. I only ride trails and pits. They aren't as adjustable as the higher end shocks but since they're built to my excact specs, I'm thinking they'll be good enough for what I do. I put on +2 +1 a arms so I need different shocks but I'm a little weary of buying used suspension. Does anybody have any experience or feedback on these shocks? Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.

Yeah. They are great!!! I have two quads with them. One of the quads im getting ready to add remote rez's with compression adjustment to them. For the price they are great. Just have them set up for your riding style and weight. And you will be happy. Or if money is tight. You can just add a set of YFZ shocks. I love my YFZ shock as well. Having the compression and rebound adjustments help me to tune the bike in for what im riding on. But people also need to remember that shocks can take up to 30mins to fully warm up. <_< So till then. The oil will be cold so the shock will be a little stiff. But when warmed up and fully tuned in right. It will make for one hell of a sweet ride.

Yes, They will tell you that it is cheaper just to buy new shocks with them. But its not. You can buy the rez's later and have the float valve removed from the pogo shocks to add the rez's. If I remember right, they are around $250 for a rez's later on with compression. But dont quote me on that.

That sounds good to me. I heard the YFZ shocks can be a little stiff, is this true? I have the money saved for Elkas so that's not a problem. Would you take your Elkas over the YFZ shocks? Is there a huge difference for just recreational riding?

Also, will Elka revalve and spring the YFZ shocks? I'm ready to buy I just don't want to make the wrong choice. I'm thinking the Elkas because I like the idea of buying new and fit excact to my +2 arms. The YFZ shocks sound good because they'll be more adjustable. Like I said though, I ride the same all the time, trails and pits. I never ride mx or dunes. I only want to spend $500 this season. I can add on next season if I need to. Are the YFZ's good for a season then revalve and spring or just go Elka and add rezzies next year? I want to order soon and can't decide without have ever trying either shock. banghead

Anyone would revalve and respring the shocks. There is alot of aftermarket help for those shocks. I would take the Yfz shocks over the pogo elkas. But having two sets of elkas that are fully adjustable are hard to kick. But I cant say that the yfz shocks are soft. I have my preload backed all the way out. It still offers enough stiffness for riding the dunes. I do adj the compression depending on how hard I am riding the bike. But I can say this tho. The yfz shocks are a little soft when you put the HIGH speed action to them. Other then that. They are a great for what they are. Im going to revalve mine and make them into dual rate shocks for next dune season. Should be fun.

But it also depends on what your wanting out of the bike and willing to do. If your wanting a shock that is set up just for one style of riding and works well. Then I would go with elka over the yfz. I just like the yfz's because they are fully adjustable. So I can tune them in from riding Dunes to Trails. Plus im willing to mod them to work for my needs better.

After thinking hard about it, I'm going with the Elkas. I'll add rezzies over the winter if needed. I'll never see dunes and I don't ride mx. I'll set them up excact for what I ride. I also love the idea of no mods before I install them. Any last minute input out there before I order them tomorrow? Thanks for your feedback, it helped with my decision. :cheers:

The cheap Elkas are awsome... Ive been riding mine for 3 yrs and they work the whoops at the dunes. I got em direct from Elka in Canada, unless your riding in endurance races the Resi shocks (although they are the chit) are a bit of overkill IMO.