What causes this knocking?

I've had this shee since last April and (every time since I've gotten it) I ride it out of a treeshot in the Oregon dunes it makes this knocking that I can feel. I don't exactly know what it could be because on flat ground and minor inclines it doesn't do that but when I ride out of treeshots in the sand it always does it. Other than that shee runs just fine. I know the clutch is worn pretty bad so I have a new one coming but I'm not sure if this is related to that. I've been told it could be jetting or octane but I'd just like a second opinion on the matter.

Mods are:

Toomey T5's

K&N Pods

+4 timing modded stock stator

VF2 reeds

320 or 330 mains in the stock carbs can't remember all I know is they're a size or 2 too rich

Thanks!

Have you looked at your chain and sprockets?Is your chain loose? It could be your chain jumping teeth on the sprockets, especially if the sprockets are shot. Being jetted rich should not cause it to knock. If you haven't cut your head or installed a coolhead with domes smaller than 23cc, you should be fine with 93 octane. But you could get a couple of gallons of 108 or 110 octane and mix it with premium pump gas and see if it makes a difference just to rule out octane.

My chain seems to be pretty tight especially with my body weight on it but I was thinking the same and I'll try tightening it for my next trip. It's a new front sprocket and the rear is still in good shape. I don't have a cool head so I don't think I'll try mixing race gas as I have stock compression. But I'll check both sprockets and see what's up. Thanks!

i had a knocking like that this summer. it felt like a chain skip, but was the sprocket hub jumping splines. i had to replace the axle and hub. check for any play there first. it went from a little bit to a lot really quick. be carefull not to overtighten the chain, too, or you can break the output bearing, or crack the cases when you bottom out. i like to ratchet the swinger to the bumper untill the sprockets and swing pivot are in line, then suck up any slack.

Sand getting in your rear sprocket, chain jumping teeth, or sprocket hub splines worn out. More than likely sand getting in your rear sprocket since it doesn't do it on the flats. Out bikes do the same thing when we shoot the hills at walden.

My vote is still for Oct. You do have +4 going on right now. So you could try to back off the timing, or just try getting some race gas and mix it for a higher oct rating.

It had stock timing when I got it and it still did that, I did the timing mod only a couple months ago

How can I tell if the sprocket is too worn out? Is it just that the teeth are a little rounded or very rounded? Thanks for all the help guys!

It had stock timing when I got it and it still did that, I did the timing mod only a couple months ago

How can I tell if the sprocket is too worn out? Is it just that the teeth are a little rounded or very rounded? Thanks for all the help guys!

Im with bigred, mine does the same thing when i take it so glamis, sand there is real fine so it gets in my chian. Does it doing as you ride or just when you hit the powerband hard? Is your chain o ring or non o ring?

The teath should be pointy, if its a little round and it keeps doing it you'll chew that sproket up real quick.

No it only happens when I'm on the pipes coming out of steep treeshots. Not when I'm doing any wide open hillclimbs or drag racing across the flats or anything. I believe it's an o-ring chain. If I get a new back sprocket do I also have to get a new chain with it?

No it only happens when I'm on the pipes coming out of steep treeshots. Not when I'm doing any wide open hillclimbs or drag racing across the flats or anything. I believe it's an o-ring chain. If I get a new back sprocket do I also have to get a new chain with it?

How about on hard launches?

Yeah I'm thinking thats the problem. I would recommend a new chain also but if your money tight put on the new sprocket and go from there.

could also be the paddles flapping. it happens to me when i hill climb in wet sand. basically the paddles are just folding back when they dig in the sand and when they release it makes a flap sound.

I've tried it with 2 different types of paddles and the sand was nice and powdery soft, but I know what you mean when I ride on the beach it sounds loud as hell on the wet sand

How about on hard launches?

Yeah I'm thinking thats the problem. I would recommend a new chain also but if your money tight put on the new sprocket and go from there.

Doesn't happen on hard launches but I think I'll pick up a new sprocket cuz I can't afford a new chain right now but the chain I have was new when I bought the bike so I think it should be okay.

Thanks for all of your help guys! I was getting really irritated that I couldn't figure out what was making that knock!