smoking more out of one pipe

lykins89shee

I'm getting more smoke out of one pipe than the other. Its not like a head gasket , more like typical two stroke smoke. It is usually right when it starts up and then it kind of goes away. Like I said its not enough to really worry me, just kind of curious of what it might be. It is the clutch side if that helps at all. It has done it ever since I have had it before and after a rebuild. The bike runs great and like I said once it runs for a while the smoke seems to even out.

It could be nothing but there are also a couple of things that it could be.

1. If you’re running a dual carb set up it could be a sign that your carbs are not in perfect sync or the left carb is running a little leaner.

2. When you said you just did a rebuild I'm assuming that you mean a top end rebuild? That being said it could be a leaky crank seal and it's leaking a little tranny fluid in to the right cylinder. I had just built my 4 mil and I noticed that it would smoke more at start up and it would go away and come back while riding. I final checked the lower end compression and there was a leak I could hear the air coming from the clutch case cover so I pulled out the dipstick and confirmed that the seal was leaking. I pulled the clutch cover off and come to find out the crank nut was stripped out and the crank gear was sliding in and out so it would only occasionally let oil into the cylinder. So does the smoke have an unusual smell that is a sign that you’re burning Trans fluid? Do you notice that you are adding crank fluid because it keeps going low is another sign?