89-90 model banshee idle/WOT bogging issues.

pondtunes

Okay just went and snapped some photos, i can't really find any identifying markings on the pipes i just assume they're stock.

IMG00244-20100227-1511%20%282%29.jpg

While down there i did notice what looks to be oil/fuel on the front of the engine where the exhaust hooks up..

IMG00245-20100227-1512%20%281%29.jpg

Hmm man theres a problem.. I bought this thing second hand and I don't know much about it.. I was told the carbs had been rebuilt but the splash guard thingy wouldn't stay put so whoever did it shoulda replaced that imo.

It was running without an air cleaner to begin with, and no airbox lid. Now it has proper carb boots as well as an air cleaner. The exhaust as far as I know is stock, i'll go look and see if there are any markings that might identify it.

sorry....i just read your other post,,,they are stock pipes,,,if you are gonna run her without a lid on the air box u may want to bump up your mains a bit,,,shee may run a bit better for you. also,,,you may as well pick up a set of pipes for her before u rejet for the no lid on airbox i suggested,,,cause your just gonna have to rejet again when u put some decent pipes on,,,u will be amazed at the power increase when u add just pipes and rejet her,,,you may also bump your pilot up to 27.5 when you add the pipes and you will be going up quit a bit on the main..you do have some work on that thing but for $400 wth.......

also,,,if you ever decide to buy new rims,,,,make sure you order the right ones. being you have an 89-90 model,,,the hubs are a different size,,,they are 4/156,,,i believe 89-90 are the only years to use this bolt pattern,,,,all other years are 4/115,,,if you ever buy new rims just get the 4/115 bolt pattern and buy some new hubs,,,they are cheap

Hmmmm okay i pulled the hose that comes off of the right hand carb that goes down to the crank case i had a nice 3 inch puddle of oily nastyness in just a few minutes it wasn't a stream just a steady drip....

1) How much gunk should come out of there?

2) Could my floats be the problem with bogging and backfiring?

3) How do my reeds look should i be able to see a small gap on the lowers?

4) side note: JB weld on the carb didn't work so well i think im going to buy a nipple or something and thread it in.

Hmmmm okay i pulled the hose that comes off of the right hand carb that goes down to the crank case i had a nice 3 inch puddle of oily nastyness in just a few minutes it wasn't a stream just a steady drip....

1) How much gunk should come out of there?

2) Could my floats be the problem with bogging and backfiring?

3) How do my reeds look should i be able to see a small gap on the lowers?

4) side note: JB weld on the carb didn't work so well i think im going to buy a nipple or something and thread it in.

ya,,,j b weld will not hold up to gas,,,it will work on your cases tho for a quick fix if you ever crack it. cant remember what the floats are supposed to be set at.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Update:

Okay I've since ordered 230,240,250 mains seeing as that's what the recommendation has been from other members here on the forums.

I've since noticed that my left bank (clutch side) has fouled two plugs while the right side hasn't... Both look equally oily for the most part..

I was tinkering around and noticed that if I grabbed the spark plug boot on the left bank I got a nice little shock..... Should spark be leaking from the boot at idle? or any other time for that matter? In my haste I didn't check to see if the left side did the same I assume I need to replace the boots?

I'm actually the one that noticed you outlet pipe missing, and yeah there missing. I don't know if that will make a difference if you have them on or not.

The floats bowl should be 20-22mm. when you measure them make sure the bowls are tilted a bit right to the point were the little metal piece on the bowls touches the valve pin.

float bowl.jpg

There not of a banshee but you get the idea.

You should get rid of the tors, those are the things that sit on top of the carbs. On picture 2 it look like your missing the little hose that connect in between the two carbs.

I'm actually the one that noticed you outlet pipe missing, and yeah there missing. I don't know if that will make a difference if you have them on or not.

The floats bowl should be 20-22mm. when you measure them make sure the bowls are tilted a bit right to the point were the little metal piece on the bowls touches the valve pin.

post-31464-12683391239379_thumb.jpg

There not of a banshee but you get the idea.

You should get rid of the tors, those are the things that sit on top of the carbs. On picture 2 it look like your missing the little hose that connect in between the two carbs.

Noted about TORS removal, its disconnected just haven't gotten around to getting a kit yet. I want to do tors removal + thumb throttle conversion.

The crossoverpipe has been installed now, im waiting on jets i'll double check the floats when they get here.

Okay got my jets installed, 240, 250, and 260's

started out with the 250's and was still leaning out at WOT... Kept running my screws out and all but got rid of the bogging/backfiring.

So i went back to the shop and installed the 260's reset everything and started over. I still had to run the screws out further than I think i should so i think i need bigger jets still..

I have a pretty smoky exhaust now but oddly enough the left is much smokier than the right. Im at least 4 turns out on my screws and it runs really well just under full throttle, probably 7/8 you can tell the instant you turn it too far.

overall it was running MUCH better.

we took a few rides through the trails and came back. ran low on fuel and threw in a fresh batch of premix.

Went out for some more rides everything good

came back and it acted like it was running out of fuel very high idle.. When I gassed it i got a back fire at anything over 1/4 throttle which really bugs me now!

I suspect i may have a clogged jet now!!!

I have a new set of carbs with the tors removed as well as a thumb throttle..

Any other theories about what caused my problem at over 1/4 throttle all of a sudden???

Pulled my plugs when i got back in the shop the left is quite oily (it ALWAYS is) and my right plug was black but very dry.

Also did a compression test. 108 psi on both cylinders