changing from AV Gas to Race Gas

chetgoff

I've been running avgas for a long time. It's usually cheaper to run than race gas. Alot of people would not recommend running avgas though. But I've had good luck with it. Oil doesn't seem to seperate from it for a long time. Only reason I would think you would have to rejet would be if you changed the mix ratio or made some changes to the motor. Do you have enough compression that you even need to run that type of gas? If not it might be a waste of money for you.

I run a 75-25 mix of AvGas with 91 pump. I have been running it for about two years now with some hard riding on it. Just changed out my domes and everything still looks good. I also run it straight in my built raptors. Just re did my rings on my 660 and everything was very clean. I think that the LL is what gets everyone. Meaning Low Lead. Plus it is about half the price of race gas here in Phoenix.

I've been running avgas for a long time. It's usually cheaper to run than race gas. Alot of people would not recommend running avgas though. But I've had good luck with it. Oil doesn't seem to seperate from it for a long time. Only reason I would think you would have to rejet would be if you changed the mix ratio or made some changes to the motor. Do you have enough compression that you even need to run that type of gas? If not it might be a waste of money for you.

Dave where do you buy your avgas at? Airport in Quincy will not sell it over the counter.

Dave where do you buy your avgas at? Airport in Quincy will not sell it over the counter.

The one in Taylorville will. I've been getting it there for years now. Long as you aren't trying to put it in a car right there they don't seem to care much.

thanks for the replies guys I was just starting to second guess my self after reading the article and wondering if it will keep the bike cool enough. since the additives in it are for running at higher altitudes. the guy says he mixes it with 4 gallons of Av fuel to a bottle of oil that is for 5 gallons not sure what ratio that is but it seems to run ok. this is my first banshee and 2 stroke at that

thanks for the replies guys I was just starting to second guess my self after reading the article and wondering if it will keep the bike cool enough. since the additives in it are for running at higher altitudes. the guy says he mixes it with 4 gallons of Av fuel to a bottle of oil that is for 5 gallons not sure what ratio that is but it seems to run ok. this is my first banshee and 2 stroke at that

The question is...do you have to run higher octane than what is available out of the premium pump? AVGAS doesn't need more oil to run so run whatever is recommended as far as a ratio goes. Different oils can have different suggested mixing ratios.

The consensus seems to be that if you have over 155PSI compression, you need more octane than premium has.

I have 165PSI and I run a 50/50 mix of 100LL AVGAS and premium and mix 36/1 Yamalube 2r. No issues, problems, or disappointments after 3 hard seasons at Glamis. I'm a AVGAS happy guy at less than half the price of race fuel.