carbs flooding after needle valve assembly change

BOOZER2009

OK I been messin with my carbs all damn day and cannot get this thing right.

Just a little history. The thing fires right up but was leaking from the float bowls. So I replaced the needle valve assemblies. Now it seems like as soon as I turn the fuel cock on, the carbs fill up with way too much gas. I bent the tabs on the floats down to try and seat the old worn needles. Obvioulsy didn't work. Now that I have new nedle valve assemblies. Is this float tab adjustmnent causing all the gas flooding? Can't figure out why so much gas flooding it. Bike will not start.

You have to reset the floats. Are they stock carbs as well? If they are, are you making sure that you are also reconnecting the choke tube? Also, when you changed out the float needle. Did you change out the body that the needle sits in? I had one that the oring went bad and the needle didnt have anything to do with it.

You have to reset the floats. Are they stock carbs as well? If they are, are you making sure that you are also reconnecting the choke tube? Also, when you changed out the float needle. Did you change out the body that the needle sits in? I had one that the oring went bad and the needle didnt have anything to do with it.

Stock carb. I did install a new body for the float needle. I actually pulled the out and check the o ring as well. Choke tube always gets put back on for the 30th time I've taken these things off and on. I kow its the float adjustment. I have bent the tab up gradually and bent the tab down gradually and still the same. Put frsh plugs in today and still no start. I just amd not getting how to set the float correcty even though it sounds so simple. I am almost thinking its somehting else at this point. Could the mnay times I flooded the carb have fille dthe cylinders with gas? the old plugs had a pretty heavy gas smell. you can smell the gas just standing nex tot the bike yet its not leaking anyhwere. The carbs are exactly what they were went it fired right up except new needle floats and bodies. Oh and I also put in new fuel air screws with springs. they are turned 1.5 out. Well being pretty mechanical and not getting this for three days is pissing me off. Anyway thanks for the help bro and listenin to me whine

You need to set the floats so that the fuel will not flow out of the overflow tube. IE the bottom nipple on the float bowl. If you think it is flooded. I would pull the carbs off and pull the plugs and let it sit over night. If I remember, you had a post on here saying that you went to 30pilots. If you dont have porting. Then the stock pilots will work for now. but the 30's are way to much fuel.

If you have a clymers manual, you'll see that the stock float height should be 20-22mm from base of carb body (without gasket) to the bottom of the floats, they need to be set there. Another thing to remember is to not try to bend the tab by pushing down on the float assembly while needle valve is still in, that forces the rubber on the end to sink into the body and warp it, ruining the brand new rubber :unsure: Check to make sure your float assembly pin isn't bent as well.

• 7 months later...

Just a little history. The thing fires right up but was leaking from the float bowls. So I replaced the needle valve assemblies. Now it seems like as soon as I turn the fuel cock on, the carbs fill up with way too much gas. I bent the tabs on the floats down to try and seat the old worn needles. Obvioulsy didn't work. Now that I have new nedle valve assemblies. Is this float tab adjustmnent causing all the gas flooding? Can't figure out why so much gas flooding it. Bike will not start.

Ive had two set of new stock carbs new sent to me and the flouts were bent and smashed i had to use the old ones and got lucky good luck getting them strait don't burn up your engine get a pro shop to get them rite for you or go to a set of keihins who don't seem to be assembled buy some down syndrome turds. and those flouts have to be rite on . good luck doing it yourself.it happened to my brother and he burnt his new engine up in a heart beat.