How much compression is too much?

Blownyel93

Alright I have to ask this question because I think I might be over-doing it a little. I have a stock stroke stock cylinder banshee with a cool head 17cc domes and vito's super stock piston. I put a compression gauge on it today and kick it a few times it goes up to 210PSI. Am I ok or should I go to bigger cc domes?????????

210 is way to high if you ask me, after about 170psi your rpms really fall off, banshees love rpms with 200+ psi its probally down about 2,500 rpm or more from where it would be with 170-180psi.

i had someone tell me that he tried 220psi in 1/8mile drag vs 180psi and the ET. times went up with the 180psi....(it got slower with the 180psi)

IF the power go's up with higher compression it may be a (good) trade off...afew rpms for more power in a lower range.

you'd just be asking for it :shootself: if you didnt have your crank welded and running that much compression. and you had better be running some top quality race fuel or your pistons would be cooked in no time. that much compression would be best for a midrange/lowend type motor built for mx or woods racing/trails where you would be on and off the gas alot and in the lower rpm ranges. you can bet it would be snappy as hell and probably have a shit load of lowend pull with the right exhaust/porting/ and gearing.