Ceramic coated exhaust

broncbob

I have a chromed set of T5's that were on my 96 when i bought it. Problem is that the chrome is very dull and it has started to rust in spots. The rust isn't that bad, but bad enough that to get it off I think the shabby looking chrome is going to suffer.

I call a chrome shop that comes highly recommended about having them re-chromed, and I was told that it can turn out to very expensive to do. The main problem being having to deal with the chrome that is on them now.

That brings up having them ceramic coated. I have seen it done on lots of 4 stroke pipes, but never on 2 stroke pipes. I'm sure it will handle the heat just fine, but what about all the vibration?

Its the same thing. Vibrations wont make a difference unless the pipe is resting against the frame or something then it might rub, but if there installed right they shouldn't be. So go ahead and get them coated. There is also all kinds of cool stuff you can do yourself. They make stuff like the dupli-color cermaic coat paints, and the VHT ceramic coat paints that you can buy at an auto parts store and bake your self. Just an idea. Also if you coat them yourself you can run the bike through heat cycles which bakes the caoting on too. just an idea because then you have color options and if you can get them sand blasted for cheap or have access to a blaster then it will be alot cheaper. Some thing i did too, was i had my T-5's blasted then I taped them of, and used a label printer and did my last name and taped it to where my last name, the T5 sign were the only things being sprayed but the T5 sign have like a racing strip almost coming off of them. And use the VHT black then baked them then used dupli colors high temp clear coat and now they change colors and came out with like black wording with like a gun metal grey and when it its the light they have like a gold metalic almost look to them and when they heat up they turn goldish. Just some ideas for ya' man

The thing that real ceramic coating has over paint is that it holds heat in much better. Your pipes wont get near as hot on the surface so your legs shouldnt get baked as bad.

I had a jet hot coatd sparks 6x on my raptor 660. That is with a built 720cc 4 mill. The header glowed a dark cherry red to where the 2 primary pipes go in to 1. I now have a spark 6x big core. Exact same header only the muffler has a 2.25in core instead of the standard 2 in core. It doesnt need rejetted. It runs just as good. The header on the big core is bare stainless steel. It glows a little brighter at the primary pipes, and glows a dark cherry red at night to where the header and the mid pipe meets. There is a big difference between the jet hot and bare stainless headers.

josh